Question Wireless mouse lag and VLC media player video lag when PC is hooked up to TV. Gaming seems fine. Any tips?

drtre5189

Reputable
Apr 18, 2017
So basically I have my desktop PC hooked to my 4K TV via 25 foot HDMI cable so that I can watch movies I downloaded on my living room TV and also for playing some games. However, the wireless mouse is having some issues where it lags. I understand this could be a distance thing or interference. It's weird though because sometimes it will lag really bad and it's like it's not registering at all for a 2 or 3 seconds. But I can pick the mouse up and put it back on the coffee table and it will work smoothly again.

I would just assume this is all related to the mouse but I am also getting some sort of lag or slowdown when watching movies on VLC player. It's super noticeable. When there is motion going on, it's like the frames are dipping really low all the time. I think my wireless mouse disconnects after a few seconds if not being used so I don't see how it could be related. And the wireless mouse lag is even worse when VLC is playing. Like if I wanted to jump to a different scene, the mouse lags all the way to where I'm trying to point it. As soon as I close VLC, the performance goes up alot. Sometimes without VLC open it seems to work fine and then it will randomly lag again.

Now the strangest thing is that I don't really get lag when playing games. I'm playing Gears 5 with an Xbox one controller connected wirelessly and it seems fine. As an experiment I tried playing the game with the mouse and it was going fine for a second but then when aiming around it started slowing down.

Any idea what's going on? Input lag? Mouse issues? Any idea how I can fix it?

It really bothers me when watching movies. That's one of the main reasons I bought the 25 foot cable. I was previously putting movies on a thumb drive and playing it on my PS4 but many times I had to convert the video file to play on console which was annoying.

Every file is 1080 and the other day it randomly started working fine. The movie I was watching was playing normal and the mouse wasn't lagging at all with VLC. I got a replacement HDMI cable because I thought mine might have been defective or something. Same exact cable. Replugged it in and the issue is back.

My TV is the Samsung QN75Q7F.

PC
16 GB Ram
GTX 970
i5-4570
1 TB normal hard drive

kanewolf

Titan
So basically I have my desktop PC hooked to my 4K TV via 25 foot HDMI cable so that I can watch movies I downloaded on my living room TV and also for playing some games. However, the wireless mouse is having some issues where it lags. I understand this could be a distance thing or interference. It's weird though because sometimes it will lag really bad and it's like it's not registering at all for a 2 or 3 seconds. But I can pick the mouse up and put it back on the coffee table and it will work smoothly again.

I would just assume this is all related to the mouse but I am also getting some sort of lag or slowdown when watching movies on VLC player. It's super noticeable. When there is motion going on, it's like the frames are dipping really low all the time. I think my wireless mouse disconnects after a few seconds if not being used so I don't see how it could be related. And the wireless mouse lag is even worse when VLC is playing. Like if I wanted to jump to a different scene, the mouse lags all the way to where I'm trying to point it. As soon as I close VLC, the performance goes up alot. Sometimes without VLC open it seems to work fine and then it will randomly lag again.

Now the strangest thing is that I don't really get lag when playing games. I'm playing Gears 5 with an Xbox one controller connected wirelessly and it seems fine. As an experiment I tried playing the game with the mouse and it was going fine for a second but then when aiming around it started slowing down.

Any idea what's going on? Input lag? Mouse issues? Any idea how I can fix it?

It really bothers me when watching movies. That's one of the main reasons I bought the 25 foot cable. I was previously putting movies on a thumb drive and playing it on my PS4 but many times I had to convert the video file to play on console which was annoying.

Every file is 1080 and the other day it randomly started working fine. The movie I was watching was playing normal and the mouse wasn't lagging at all with VLC. I got a replacement HDMI cable because I thought mine might have been defective or something. Same exact cable. Replugged it in and the issue is back.

My TV is the Samsung QN75Q7F.

PC
16 GB Ram
GTX 970
i5-4570
1 TB normal hard drive
Put the TV into game mode. Many TVs process the signal which adds delay. Putting the TV into game mode bypasses the processing.

drtre5189

Reputable
Apr 18, 2017
Put the TV into game mode. Many TVs process the signal which adds delay. Putting the TV into game mode bypasses the processing.
The thing is the TV won't even let me put it into game mode with the pc. When I try to goto game mode it says this function is unavailable.

However, on the inputs screen of my tv it showed my computer device as an unknown connection. I edited it and changed to PC and now the mouse is working like butter again and VLC isn't lagging. But I don't know if it will stay that way. I just did a quick test. Could that have been the issue? The TV was registering the HDMI source as unknown and switching to PC fixed it?

drtre5189

Reputable
Apr 18, 2017
Well I think I might have fixed it. The pc was being fed to the TV as an unknown signal. And with it being an unknown signal it had all those post processing effects turned on.

I can either switch the TV input to PC mode or switch it game console mode which allows me to actually turn on game mode. PC mode doesn't allow it. It looks like both of those options turn off the extra processing the TV does. Movies look and play fine without noticeable lag and the mouse works pretty well. There is still a little bit of random lag here and there but it seems it isn't effecting the function of the pc, only the mouse. So I'm guessing the mouse issue is it's own thing since it's about 20 feet away from my pc. Maybe it's struggling to keep a good connection or there is some interference.