[SOLVED] Wireless mouse latency

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarodatkinson

Reputable
Oct 10, 2017
Hey All,

I was just watching a LTT video about wireless mouse latency, and was wondering why that ever occurs, given that a wired mouse transmits its signal at light speed, and a wireless mouse using an r.f. signal also transmits at the same speed. Is the traditional latency caused by the r.f. decoder in the dongle? Also they talk about r.f. interference being a possible cause of latency. What everyday r.f. interference could cause this to occur?

Thanks!

Solution
Thanks for the reply!

Good to know... I didn't realize that.... as with the latency, the vid was about testing the claim the this new wireless mouse has 1ms latency... their testing couldn't prove that claim, but the test they set up did seem to show no difference in responsiveness.....
Well sure they are going to show you a great response on "their" product using a test they made up. I am sure you can google the mouse for enough reviews to form your own opinion. 1ms, 8ms, 16ms there really is no difference in those times. They are all perfectly fine and fast response times for a wireless, even a wired mouse. You have to remember the reason wireless mice are perceived to be slower is they have to transmit from one end, then...

jarodatkinson

Reputable
Oct 10, 2017
You can get electronic interference from your computer. You can use an extender for your usb port to move the receiver away from the interference. You are looking at a good wireless mouse with lag times of 8-16ms.

Thanks for the reply!

Good to know... I didn't realize that.... as with the latency, the vid was about testing the claim the this new wireless mouse has 1ms latency... their testing couldn't prove that claim, but the test they set up did seem to show no difference in responsiveness.....

Thanks for the reply!

Well sure they are going to show you a great response on "their" product using a test they made up. I am sure you can google the mouse for enough reviews to form your own opinion. 1ms, 8ms, 16ms there really is no difference in those times. They are all perfectly fine and fast response times for a wireless, even a wired mouse. You have to remember the reason wireless mice are perceived to be slower is they have to transmit from one end, then receive from another end, and transmit to the computer. This could cause more response lag time. It comes down to the quality of the product. There are logitech wireless mice that have faster response time than the wired trusted Razer death adder mouse. I.E. https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2594-wireless-mouse-click-latency-analysis-vs-wired

Last edited:
Solution

jarodatkinson

Reputable
Oct 10, 2017
Well sure they are going to show you a great response on "their" product using a test they made up. I am sure you can google the mouse for enough reviews to form your own opinion. 1ms, 8ms, 16ms there really is no difference in those times. They are all perfectly fine and fast response times for a wireless, even a wired mouse. You have to remember the reason wireless mice are perceived to be slower is they have to transmit from one end, then receive from another end, and transmit to the computer. This could cause more response lag time. It comes down to the quality of the product. There are logitech wireless mice that have faster response time than the wired trusted Razer death adder mouse. I.E. https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2594-wireless-mouse-click-latency-analysis-vs-wired

Thanks for taking the time to respond in such a detailed way. I certainly see the points you made about the technical validity of their testing methodology, the inherent bias likely to arise when reviewing products that sponsor your videos. Thanks also for the link to that tech jesus video.... I love watching Steve's videos, he's such a knowledgeable bloke. I'm definitely a pc tech video junkie... between linus, steve and jay, there is almost always something interesting to learn from these guys... Much better than the normal crap on tv!

Thanks for taking the time to respond in such a detailed way. I certainly see the points you made about the technical validity of their testing methodology, the inherent bias likely to arise when reviewing products that sponsor your videos. Thanks also for the link to that tech jesus video.... I love watching Steve's videos, he's such a knowledgeable bloke. I'm definitely a pc tech video junkie... between linus, steve and jay, there is almost always something interesting to learn from these guys... Much better than the normal crap on tv!
You bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.