Wireless network problem.

Hi

I have a three PC network configured as follows. Two PC's are Ethernet
connected to a Netgear WGR614 wireless router. The router is connected
through a cable modem to the Internet. I also have a notebook running a
wireless connection to the router. The notebook and one of the PC's are
running Windows 2000 Professional and the other PC is running Windows
98. All machines are set up in the same Workgroup and all have shared
disks. My problem is that I cannot see either of the PC's from the
notebook although I can get to the Internet. I can also access shared
disks from one hardwired PC to the other.

I did an experiment today by hooking the notebook up to the router using
an Ethernet cable (eliminating the wireless connection). In this case I
was able to see and access shared disks on both PC's from the notebook,
and from either PC to the notebook. I would assume that this means the
Windows 2000 machines are properly set up.

Previously I had a problem accessing a shared printer on the 2000
machine from the 98 machine and someone suggested that I make sure that
I had the user on the 98 machine in the user group on the 2000 machine.
I made sure all users are setup on all machines.

I hope someone can suggest what I could do to clear up the problem with
the notebook. Thanks for your help.

Dave
golferdc@charter.net

Dave Roberts <golferdc@charter.net> wrote in news:VonBd.9034$l41.2380
@fe07.lga:

> Hi
>
> I have a three PC network configured as follows. Two PC's are Ethernet
> connected to a Netgear WGR614 wireless router. The router is connected
> through a cable modem to the Internet. I also have a notebook running a
> wireless connection to the router. The notebook and one of the PC's are
> running Windows 2000 Professional and the other PC is running Windows
> 98. All machines are set up in the same Workgroup and all have shared
> disks. My problem is that I cannot see either of the PC's from the
> notebook although I can get to the Internet. I can also access shared
> disks from one hardwired PC to the other.
>
> I did an experiment today by hooking the notebook up to the router
using
> an Ethernet cable (eliminating the wireless connection). In this case I
> was able to see and access shared disks on both PC's from the notebook,
> and from either PC to the notebook. I would assume that this means the
> Windows 2000 machines are properly set up.
>
> Previously I had a problem accessing a shared printer on the 2000
> machine from the 98 machine and someone suggested that I make sure that
> I had the user on the 98 machine in the user group on the 2000 machine.
> I made sure all users are setup on all machines.
>
> I hope someone can suggest what I could do to clear up the problem with
> the notebook. Thanks for your help.
>
> Dave
> golferdc@charter.net

I think you have the problem of the NIC protocols being used on the
wireless card will not allow the wired machines to see it or the other
way for the wireless to see the wired machines. If you disable WEP or
WAP, then all machines wire/wireless may be able to see each other and be
accessed. You should sync the protocols and services on the NIC's and see
what happens with WEP or WAP enabled.

You can try the following on all the NIC(s) and remove everything else
from them:

1) Client for MS Networks
2) File and Print Sharing for MS Networks
3) Internet Protocol TCP/IP

Yes, previous to that, I ran with NWlink that allowed the wired and
wireless machines to access each other. I discovered I didn't need NWlink
and just used the above and it works for wire and wireless machines
sharing resources.

HTH

Duane :)