Wireless Network Solutions

foreksgotmail

Reputable
Nov 28, 2017
Hello, I have just moved into my new apartment in the town where the college that I attend is located. I knew beforehand that my apartment wouldn't have any ethernet ports for me to use but I didn't really have much of a choice. The internet provider is called HotelWifi I believe. The ping isn't too bad in the apartment but the download speed is pretty slow and the NAT type is always STRICT. Is there any way to boost or increase my wireless signal in the apartment? I was looking into travel routers and I don't know how effective it would be. If it helps there is a place where you can connect a telephone line lol. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Solution
Well, any network extender needs to be in a place with a fairly strong signal so that it can effectively boost that signal further. So, putting a booster in your apartment will give you a stronger signal, BUT it will only be stronger because your computer is closer to the booster, not because the network signal is any stronger. Generally this is the part where I tell you to get with a friend and see if you can get a booster closer, but it sounds like this network has some restrictions in place and is shared, which kills performance. If you have a phone line into the place you could see about getting DSL service, it might be slow compared to cable, but it would be all yours and you can do with it what you want. You could also look into cable internet if you have a cable TV connection, and that will be more expensive, but A LOT faster.

Hope this gives you some more info to work from.

foreksgotmail

Reputable
Nov 28, 2017

I have cable in the living room and bedrooms. What would I have to do to get for that to work?

foreksgotmail

Reputable
Nov 28, 2017

My brother found a port on the wall yesterday. One was labeled "voice" and the other "data" I assumed that one was for phone and the other was ethernet. I attempted to use the "data" port for ethernet but it didn't work. Do you think there would possibly be a way for me to use this as an ethernet? Or am I just using this in the wrong way? Sorry for noob post I am new to hardware stuff in general lol.

Well, you're going to have to pay for service. The "data" port is set up for DSL service. So you'll have to contact whomever you have locally for cable or DSL to get set up. It'll cost you somewhere between $30 and $60 per month.

Solution