Wireless networking Problem

Viral_2

Prominent
Jul 9, 2017
Hi guys so I bought a pc on Craigslist (ryzen 7 1700/GTX1060 6GB/Msi mortar arctic b350m/Samsung evo 850 250gb/16 GB Corsair Lpx 3000) So here whats my problem : Im using a USB wifi adapter (tp link archer t2u a600) and I'm getting on Speedtest.net very slow speed and I should be getting 60MB/s Download , I tried with my dad pc with same adapter , in same place where my pc is actually and his pc gets really good results mine very bad .. about 3MB/s ... drivers are all up to date and I don't know what to do ... also when I try to play games my ping is like 1000 with my pc...Also , in my option wifi status , numbers go from 150 to dropping to 60 to 6.5MB/s but on Speedtest i get bad results and i'd like to know how to fix that and get good speeds like I'm supposed

If the displayed link speed at 2.4GHz is going from 150 to 6.5 that is very bad, because the actual speed is usually less than half the negotiated link speed.

So either it is in a location with bad Wifi or your PC is generating 2.4GHz interference. The latter is common as many things radiate non-Wifi 2.4GHz noise such as wired USB 3.0, and to make things worse it's now popular to use cases with a huge honking window to let all the RF noise out. Fortunately, the big advantage of USB adapters is you can put it at the end of a 15' long extension cable to move it away from the case, to a place with better Wifi signal.

To check for Wifi interference use a Wifi Analyzer app on a phone or something like InSSIDer for PC to see what channels your neighbors are using, then move yours to the most open one. 5GHz is also an option if you are close enough to the router or an AP.

Wherever you end up putting the adapter, you can fashion a Wifi reflector for it by putting a piece of metal behind the antenna so it faces the router. Patch antennas frequently have a metal plate behind them as the ground plane and this is the same idea.