Wireless PC-Connected VR HMDs Might Not Be Far Off: Quark VR Made A Wireless Vive Transmitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

hdmark

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2015
this would be great but im wondering about powering the HMD then? would they then need battery packs connected to them ? (not sure if they already do have batteries that i just didn't realize)

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015

Yes, the headset would need battery packs. it's now powered via the cable. The cable is getting to be more of a problem as more advanced games come out, so this can not come soon enough.

Wait, are they going to use the 2.4Ghz/5.2Ghz band or they will use *WiFi* as a transport layer? If it's the latter, then the lag will be perceivable and, most probably, annoying to boot.

You have to think you're tricking your eyes into movement and the brain-to-eye lag is ~13ms. So, moving your neck, your brain will expect "something" in less than that amount to process and then have a reaction to it. WiFi plus processing will put that north of 50ms, so I don't know if it's a good idea (considering the target of 90FPS translates to ~11ms + WiFi lag of ~35ms).

Cheers!

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

There would definitely need to be a battery system of some sort. They will probably talk about that when they reveal it later this year.

Valve is involved with this project and is intimately aware of the need for low latency to acheive comfortable VR. It sounds like this company has made some sort of breakthrough that gets around that problem.

Again, we'll know more when Quark VR is ready to talk about it.

dstarr3

Distinguished
Honestly, I wouldn't be opposed to wearing some battery pack on a belt or something with a wire running down my back. I hope they don't get too optimistic and put too small a battery in the HMD itself to avoid that. I'd rather have six hours of use on my belt than an hour in the device.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015

I expect it'll be WiFi-like on the same band, but with optimized communications protocols. It only needs to get signals to and from a single device in the same room as the base-station, which removes a lot of complexity. The only issue might be with the FCC for using WiFi frequencies for something that is not quite WiFi.

edhem

Reputable
Feb 12, 2015
As a user of the HTC Vive, neither the wires nor the weight of the HMD are a problem in regards of use. Of course I would prefer to have it wireless, but as an early adopter, the device is doing a great job. As I recall they were talking that 5G speeds could replace the wires and reduce lag, I am curious what happened to that idea.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015

The wires are an annoyance, and occasionally disrupt game play, so I'd say they are a problem. This is still the best toy and exercise device I've ever owned, but it will be a lot better without wires.

The HMD annoyed me too, becoming uncomfortable pretty quickly, but replacing the straps with welding head-gear solved that part of the problem.

jjbtexas

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
Running the entire unite over thunderbolt would be the best option right now. Wireless is great but lag and battery packs are not the solution.

dstarr3

Distinguished

I assume you're referring to the Linus video, wherein he loaded up a backpack with a Thunderbolt hub, two giant battery packs, and some heavily modified cables, all of which cost about as much as a Vive again. So... yeah, if you feel like doubling your VR cost, okay, that can be done after A LOT of work. But that's not exactly realistic for most people.

Status
Not open for further replies.