Question Wireless router as an access point ?

doublebonus

Commendable
May 4, 2020
I want to run ethernet cable to basement then to a router set as an access point. I want to be able to use that wifi in the basement and also use wired ethernet. Should I plug the ethernet into a switch and then the router/AP or can I just use the Router/AP by itself and and use wi fi and wired with the AP/router?

Unlike say 5 years ago almost all routers now have a bridge/ap mode. You just plug the cable into the wan port and set it to AP mode. You now have wireless and can use the lan ports on the router as a ethernet connections. When you run it as a AP you are in effect making it into a switch that also has wifi radios.

It is possible to use any router as a AP even if it does not have a AP mode. You can search for this and get a bunch of hits. Most the information is a bit old because unless you get really old or very cheap routers they have AP setting.

kanewolf

Titan
I want to run ethernet cable to basement then to a router set as an access point. I want to be able to use that wifi in the basement and also use wired ethernet. Should I plug the ethernet into a switch and then the router/AP or can I just use the Router/AP by itself and and use wi fi and wired with the AP/router?
An inexpensive used Asus router would be my recommendation if you don't already have the device to use as an AP. The Asus firmware has a one-button mode for use as an AP.