[SOLVED] Wireless router randomly drops connection

actionduck

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014
I have a Medialink AC1200 router, which connects to the internet via an Xfinity modem. At random times, the medialink device disappears from visibility and drops all wireless connections, regardless of distance. I thought it might have something to do with the modem, but, after changing to an upgraded modem, the problem is continuing. I would appreciate any help you can provide on troubleshooting this problem. Thanks!

Solution
I would get into the router and see if there is a log of some kind. If it is actually rebooting many times the old log will be lost. Most though you can tell about the time the device rebooted so if that is close to the time of the outage.
If you get really lucky and it is some kind of software reset there might be a error code.

If it is some kind of software issue maybe check the firmware and see if there is newer. Hardware or power issues unfortunately are not really fixable in most cases and are actually more common that firmware issues on older equipment that has had patches put out for years now.

kanewolf

Titan
I have a Medialink AC1200 router, which connects to the internet via an Xfinity modem. At random times, the medialink device disappears from visibility and drops all wireless connections, regardless of distance. I thought it might have something to do with the modem, but, after changing to an upgraded modem, the problem is continuing. I would appreciate any help you can provide on troubleshooting this problem. Thanks!
What do the LEDs on the router do?
Do you have any wired connections? What happens with them?

Ben_88

Honorable
Mar 14, 2016
I've had this happen to me as well before. I had to update my driver from the manufacturer. Not sure what type of wireless you are using but I would find out and update the drivers first. This also could happen if the wireless is overheating. (Even inside a laptop or case)

I would get into the router and see if there is a log of some kind. If it is actually rebooting many times the old log will be lost. Most though you can tell about the time the device rebooted so if that is close to the time of the outage.
If you get really lucky and it is some kind of software reset there might be a error code.

If it is some kind of software issue maybe check the firmware and see if there is newer. Hardware or power issues unfortunately are not really fixable in most cases and are actually more common that firmware issues on older equipment that has had patches put out for years now.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS