Wireless slows down, when another person use it

Hello group

I share the internet connection with my host where I rent, I dont pay
anything for getting my share of the internet, but when my host uses the
internet, my connection is very slow, unusable slow.

Is it possible to have the router prioritise one person?

In that case, how is that done, which programs are used, or where are
these settings set?

Thanks.

Using an enterprise-class router, such as one from Cisco, you could
prioritize traffic. But using an inexpensive residential gateway router, I
don't think you can do what you want. What kind of Internet connection have
you got, dialup? What is your host doing, streaming video, downloading
MP3s?

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.