Question Wireless TV can see one other device but not another ?

REALOldNick

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2013
Our wireless-enabled can see one PC on the network but not another. Unfortunately the one it can't see is the one that's needed. For watching videos stored on the lounge PC, from the bedroom.

My workroom PC is Win 10
the Lounge PC is win 11
My wife's PC is win 11

So as it stands,
- The lounge PC is shared to Everyone regarding the folders that need to be shared.
- the bedroom TV can see my workroom PC and access shared folders on that.
- My workroom PC can see the Lounge PC and the bedroom TV.
- it cannot actually access any file; there are none
- it can access files on the lounge PC when they have been shared
- the lounge PC can see my workroom PC.
- my workroom PC cannot see my wife's workroom PC, but that has not been set up.

The lounge PC is at one end of the house, my PC and my wife's PC are near the middle of the house, the bedroom TV is at the other end. But AFAICS, if the TV Can see _any_ device of the network, the distance should not matter as the TV can see the router.

I am at a loss and help would be much appreciated.

JohnMGotts

Reputable
Dec 7, 2020
...make sure the suspect PC is on the same frequency as the others. If it's at the other end of the house, you
should be using the 2.4 ghz band not the 5. Although 2.4 is slower than 5, it carries a much further distance.

REALOldNick

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2013
...make sure the suspect PC is on the same frequency as the others. If it's at the other end of the house, you
should be using the 2.4 ghz band not the 5. Although 2.4 is slower than 5, it carries a much further distance.
Thanks for the reply. The trouble there is, my PC can both see the lounge PC and be seen by the bedroom TV. So they are all on the same frequency. The bedroom TV can see the router fine, or it could not see my PC.
check the wifi/ethernet settings of the longePC if these are set to public or private. Set to private to see the PC
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZSfT9M8Yrk
They are private. The bedroom TV can see my PC fine. Just not the lounge one. But my PC can see the lounge PC.

Last edited:

REALOldNick

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2013
It's a sort of explorer. Like most modern TVs that I know of, the TV has input options like TV, DVD player, HDMI etc and one of them is WiFi. It is not cast.

Do you have only your main router or do you have some kind of extender/ap/repeater device also.

TV are a pain because many do not have the diagnostic tools. Can the tv use a ping command. Can you ping the tv from the pc.

If ping works then the problem is going to be related to file sharing issues. This would mean the tv can actually see the server but for some reason it does not like the way the files are being shared.

REALOldNick

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2013
Thanks for the reply.

I have the one router. It is the middle of the house and pretty much the same distance to the TV as the main lounge. Also the fact that the TV sees my other PC means it has the router fine.

I am wondering if it is a Win 11 issue. I will seup my wife's PC to share and see if the TV can see that.

hmmm...I have 5 devices showing on my router. 3 of them are "Unknown". I cannot ping one of the Unknown ones.

I am pretty sure the TV has no such facility.

The question about the router was mostly because some people have multiple routers in their house and you get problems with file sharing when there are multiple routers.

It is likely if the tv can see the router it can see the other pcs at least network wise. This leave something strange with the tv/pc combination.

REALOldNick

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2013
Thanks again. I need to check the TV for Win 11 compatibility. I will set up my wife's work PC to share files and see what happens with that. It is identical to the lounge one.

REALOldNick

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2013
OK. Here is the state of play for those who have tried to solve this for me, and maybe for others seeking an answer (which I do not have).

The TV is set up to view only its own predefined Libraries from the PC and not any of its folders. So what I had to do was select the folder I wanted to view (DVDs) and include it in the Video Folder. THEN the TV could find them.

But!............... it seems it is all for nought...because I cannot use a mouse on the TV, I cannot select what DVD episode etc: the TV just chooses a VOB file and starts playing. That could be anywhere on the DVDs episodes.

The bedroom TV will just have to use a DVD player and physically import DVDs onto that. :mad:

So again my thanks.