wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Do pretty much all laptops support the addition of a wireless card? I
basically want to buy a cheap laptop off of ebay and add a wireless
card so I can use it in Starbucks.

bob
http://www.coolgroups.com/forum/

Andrew

bob@coolgroups.com wrote:
: Do pretty much all laptops support the addition of a wireless card? I
: basically want to buy a cheap laptop off of ebay and add a wireless
: card so I can use it in Starbucks.

Almost every laptop is capable of adding a PC Card to add wireless,
including many older laptops. You can also use a USB wireless card,
but I think the PC Card cards will be more reliable if only because
they are less likely to pop out by accident.

If your laptop is too old, it may not support the newer cards or the
operating system may not. Any laptop that came pre-installed with
Windows XP or even 2000 will probably be fine. You might get away
with Windows 98 or ME, but I highly discourage you from going that way
- those operating systems are too unreliable. Don't even consider a
laptop with Windows 95 or NT.

Most Starbucks use T-Mobile Hot Spot for wireless internet, by the
way, and it's not free. If you sign up for a year contract
it's $29.99/month or $39.99/month for a month-month contract (you save
$10/month if you have a T-Mobile phone). I did the year contract a
few years ago when I was traveling more but have thought about dumping
Hot Spot lately. In Portland there are free Hot Spots everywhere now,
so you don't really need it here.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----

One caveat you should be aware of, if the laptop did not come with a mini-PCI
card for wifi it may also not have a built-in antenna. My Compaq Presario
2100US is like this. I bought the mini-PCI wifi card and found there was no
antenna. The antenna is a $20 cost, but I must disassemble my laptop (and
screen) to install it. Two hours of reading the manual and taking out screws
got me about one fourth the way done. I gave up and put it back together.

Tim Lange
West Lafayette, IN
(Go Boilers!)

Andrew wrote:
> bob@coolgroups.com wrote:
> : Do pretty much all laptops support the addition of a wireless card? I
> : basically want to buy a cheap laptop off of ebay and add a wireless
> : card so I can use it in Starbucks.
>
> Almost every laptop is capable of adding a PC Card to add wireless,
> including many older laptops. You can also use a USB wireless card,
> but I think the PC Card cards will be more reliable if only because
> they are less likely to pop out by accident.
>
> If your laptop is too old, it may not support the newer cards or the
> operating system may not. Any laptop that came pre-installed with
> Windows XP or even 2000 will probably be fine. You might get away
> with Windows 98 or ME, but I highly discourage you from going that way
> - those operating systems are too unreliable. Don't even consider a
> laptop with Windows 95 or NT.
>
> Most Starbucks use T-Mobile Hot Spot for wireless internet, by the
> way, and it's not free. If you sign up for a year contract
> it's $29.99/month or $39.99/month for a month-month contract (you save
> $10/month if you have a T-Mobile phone). I did the year contract a
> few years ago when I was traveling more but have thought about dumping
> Hot Spot lately. In Portland there are free Hot Spots everywhere now,
> so you don't really need it here.
>
> Andrew
> --
> ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
> ----> http://www.bizave.com <---- Photo Albums and Portland Info
> ----> To Email me remove "MYSHOES" from email address

My PCMCIA card has its own antenna.

Tim Lange
West Lafayette, IN
(Go Boilers!)

bob@coolgroups.com wrote:
> So, you don't have wireless on your laptop now? Are there external
> antennas?
>
> bob
> http://www.coolgroups.com/

Andrew

bob@coolgroups.com wrote:
: So, you don't have wireless on your laptop now? Are there external
: antennas?

He was talking about getting an "internal" wireless card, not the
typical "external" PC Card wireless card you see sticking out of
laptops with the little lights flashing, etc. The external cards
have built-in antennas.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----

Generally speaking, if the antenna is not built-in, it's better to just
use a PC card. Adding the antenna is just not practical in almost any
cases, given the degree of disassembly that is required (the antenna is
in the lid and the PC card is in the base, so even in the best
situations, it is a very difficult installation).