[SOLVED] Wires Sticking Out Ethernet Cable Head

davorvidojkovic

Reputable
Mar 23, 2018
Hey, take a look at these two pictures of my ethernet cable head. View: https://imgur.com/a/M8eyK8g

Well now that you've taken a look and realized what's going on, I should say that I have no idea if my cable is RJ45, TIA846A/B or whatever the name is. I have no tools to fix this, only screwdrivers and other basic stuff every person has in their house. I've read a few guides on the internet, but to even start I am supposed to remove the other wires from the cable head, no? And I can't.
All help is appreciated!

Solution
Most ISP will not fix cables inside your house. They will at best fix cables that run from outside through the wall.

In the end the guy that will come and fix it wants to be paid. Either you or the ISP will have to pay him and the ISP tends to not want to pay. Many times the installers will do extras when they first put it in because they already made the trip but when they must make a special trip.

If it is just a patch cable it tends to be cheaper just to buy new ones. In wall cables you have to look at the costs to do it yourself compared to paying someone. It is no different than buying a special wrench to fix the toilet or pay a plumber
Not sure why they would have used those pairs. If it works at all it will only run at 100mbit. You photo is not clear enough for me to tell if the brown pair is connected on pins 3 & 6.

It is not hard to crimp new ends on cables but it does take practice. You need a crimping tool and the ends.

If this is just a patch cable I would just toss it and buy a commerically made one to avoid having to learn to crimp ends on. In addition the wire does not look like copper wire it looks like aluminum. Could be the lighting in the photo. You want to always use pure copper cables the other stuff is not certified for ethernet and does not always work properly.

davorvidojkovic

Reputable
Mar 23, 2018
Not sure why they would have used those pairs. If it works at all it will only run at 100mbit. You photo is not clear enough for me to tell if the brown pair is connected on pins 3 & 6.

It is not hard to crimp new ends on cables but it does take practice. You need a crimping tool and the ends.

If this is just a patch cable I would just toss it and buy a commerically made one to avoid having to learn to crimp ends on. In addition the wire does not look like copper wire it looks like aluminum. Could be the lighting in the photo. You want to always use pure copper cables the other stuff is not certified for ethernet and does not always work properly.
Why would I need a crimping tool? From what I had seen in a video, the guy was using the crimping tool, but can't I just use a knife and scissors. The knife will be used to strip the cable so I can reveal the wires and the scissors will be used to shorten the wires if necessary.
EDIT: There's some blue writing on the cable that says "C(UL) E204816 CM 75C UTP 24AWG 4PR ETL VERIFIED TO TIA 568-B.2 CATEGORY 5E PATCH". So what cable is this, tia568b or category 5e?
EDIT2: The brown+white one is in the 3rd, and the solely brown one is in the 6th. So that leaves the blue+white and blue only. So the blue+white is in the 1st spot and the blue one is in the 2nd.

Last edited:
It is a non standard cable that does not follow any approved pattern. It might work at 100mbit if both ends are done the same.

How you expect to put ends on a cable without a crimp tool. Even though some crimp tools have the ability to cut wire that is not it main purpose. It is mostly used to force the pins in the plug to cut through the insulation and make contact with the wires inside the plug head.

davorvidojkovic

Reputable
Mar 23, 2018
It is a non standard cable that does not follow any approved pattern. It might work at 100mbit if both ends are done the same.

How you expect to put ends on a cable without a crimp tool. Even though some crimp tools have the ability to cut wire that is not it main purpose. It is mostly used to force the pins in the plug to cut through the insulation and make contact with the wires inside the plug head.
So I can't just stick the wires in the cable head? I was going for that option, as I saw a video on youtube and the guy did that.
Video for reference:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYI8fYaIBAc&t=97s
If it is possible, the only remaining problem is removing the wires from the plastic cable head.
EDIT: Even if I can't get the wires out of the plastic cable head/connector, can't I just buy one for dirt cheap and fix my cable?

Last edited:
I don't watch youtube video mostly because there are so many idiots that think they are experts on subjects they have no knowledge.

You can not just stick wires into the head. The bottom of those pins have special cutters that cut into the wire and both hold it in place as well as make electrical contact.

The plastic ends are pretty cheap but generally you can't just buy 1 or 2.

Even when you have a proper crimping tool it is tricky to get the wires in position and the pins crimped in without something moving just a tiny bit and making the connection bad. It takes practice and even someone that makes them everyday will mess one up now and then.

Maybe go buy a couple ends and see how they work and then you will see why people pay for a crimping tool. The more expensive tools are actually easier to use because they apply the correct force to the pins. The cheap ones work but the person doing the crimping must know by feel when they are correct. This takes practice.

davorvidojkovic

Reputable
Mar 23, 2018
I don't watch youtube video mostly because there are so many idiots that think they are experts on subjects they have no knowledge.

You can not just stick wires into the head. The bottom of those pins have special cutters that cut into the wire and both hold it in place as well as make electrical contact.

The plastic ends are pretty cheap but generally you can't just buy 1 or 2.

Even when you have a proper crimping tool it is tricky to get the wires in position and the pins crimped in without something moving just a tiny bit and making the connection bad. It takes practice and even someone that makes them everyday will mess one up now and then.

Maybe go buy a couple ends and see how they work and then you will see why people pay for a crimping tool. The more expensive tools are actually easier to use because they apply the correct force to the pins. The cheap ones work but the person doing the crimping must know by feel when they are correct. This takes practice.
Yeah the connectors come in 50pcs if I'm not mistaken. If I have to go through such a hassle, can't I just call my ISP and have them fix it?

Most ISP will not fix cables inside your house. They will at best fix cables that run from outside through the wall.

In the end the guy that will come and fix it wants to be paid. Either you or the ISP will have to pay him and the ISP tends to not want to pay. Many times the installers will do extras when they first put it in because they already made the trip but when they must make a special trip.

If it is just a patch cable it tends to be cheaper just to buy new ones. In wall cables you have to look at the costs to do it yourself compared to paying someone. It is no different than buying a special wrench to fix the toilet or pay a plumber

Solution
Yeah the connectors come in 50pcs if I'm not mistaken. If I have to go through such a hassle, can't I just call my ISP and have them fix it?
You can, but they will charge you. Might not be a bad option though if you don't want to do it yourself.

But dead-on on needing tools and practice. We had an end break at one of our businesses after a few years and I went and got a $30 kit from Lowes. Even though I took my time (30 minutes per attempt), and am very dextrous with hardware, I still messed up twice before I had a working cable.

You want to save money--get a cheap kit and put in the work. You want it done--just call your ISP and pay the bill.

davorvidojkovic

Reputable
Mar 23, 2018
You can, but they will charge you. Might not be a bad option though if you don't want to do it yourself.

But dead-on on needing tools and practice. We had an end break at one of our businesses after a few years and I went and got a $30 kit from Lowes. Even though I took my time (30 minutes per attempt), and am very dextrous with hardware, I still messed up twice before I had a working cable.

You want to save money--get a cheap kit and put in the work. You want it done--just call your ISP and pay the bill.

So I guess the option left is to either find a crimping tool from someone I know or buy the kit. But when I do get the crimping tool, what color order do I have to follow with this non standard cable I have for it to function the best?