Wiring a case fan

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

I have this tower case with a side fan, but a while ago I needed the
fan's connector to shove into a tivo. Now I have a fan with two leads
coming out of it. One red and one black with a red stripe. I decided
to shove the red wire into the red female part of a power connector and
the black with red stripe wire into the black female part of the same
power connector.

I taped it up and tested it on another machine. It runs, no sparks, no
resets, etc. I'm wondering if I did this correctly. As you well know
there are two black wires next to each other on these power connectors.
Did I pick the wrong one? I'm guessing one is grounded and the other
isn't?

--
Mike
Block Banner Ads Now

"Mike245" <user245_hotmail.com@ignorethis.com> wrote in message
> I have this tower case with a side fan, but a while ago I needed the
> fan's connector to shove into a tivo. Now I have a fan with two leads
> coming out of it. One red and one black with a red stripe. I decided
> to shove the red wire into the red female part of a power connector and
> the black with red stripe wire into the black female part of the same
> power connector.
>
> I taped it up and tested it on another machine. It runs, no sparks, no
> resets, etc. I'm wondering if I did this correctly. As you well know
> there are two black wires next to each other on these power connectors.
> Did I pick the wrong one? I'm guessing one is grounded and the other
> isn't?
>
> --
> Mike
> Block Banner Ads Now
> http://everythingisnt.com/hosts.html

Assuming its a 12 Volt fan (and most are), no this is not correct. You need
to carefully splice the red fan wire into a yellow wire feed and the black
wire into the neighbouring black wire (in fact any black wire should do
because under ATX PSU convention all black wires should be ground). The way
you've hooked it up, its crrently only getting 5 Volts (so will be running
slowley, if at all). If you want a custom made lead which does it all for
you they are available to buy. Here in the UK Kustom PCs sell them here:
http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_1902.html

Paul

Paul Murphy wrote:
> you've hooked it up, its crrently only getting 5 Volts (so will be
running
> slowley, if at all).

Ah, no wonder its so slow. Thanks.