Question WISP help!

Feb 25, 2019
I am currently looking at deplying a WISP in an area that doesn't have many houses connected to a line.

I am hoping to have 400+ users at any one time, I am fairly new to WISP technology so do not know what I would need to use for that many people. The area is not a very large area so I was hoping to get away with running two PrismStations 5AC from my end and have each customer set up with a NanoBeam 5AC Gen 2 device on their roof as it is the most cost effective method for a smaller area. I am unsure what else I would need, obviosly a modem on mine and the customers end, but what else? Am I able to go straight from a modem/router to a PrismStation 5AC? Can I go straight from a NanoBeam 5AC Gen 2 to a modem? Also what kind of bandwidth would I need to be able to run 400+ users on my WISP at one time?

Here is a link to my sample: https://link.ui.com/#p=529a97dd4e0d44a9b8a1154a65234e72

Thanks,

Since your 2 stations on your central tower only have gigabit ports you will be limited to 2gbit total bandwidth. That is a 5mbit average per customer which is nothing now days when you consider you have people watching multiple netflix movies in the same house. You will likely have massive bandwidth bottlenecks during prime time hours after work.

I have not looked at the details of ubiquiti solution for this. You must be extremely careful that the units on the client houses are the devices designed to work with their system. In WISP systems the central units control when the end stations can transmit. The end stations on the customer houses are not just simple wifi bridges they actually need permission to use the bandwidth much how a cable modem works. This is why you see the documents talk about GPS, the devices have very exact timing to make sure they do not transmit over the top of each other.

On the customer end you need nothing but they would want to put routers in. On your end you are likely going to need some form of server since as a ISP you are going to have to do some very basic logging. If one of your customers decides to do illegal stuff government groups like the FBI will be coming to you to find out who was using what ip at a certain time. This also means you either need a very large router to run NAT on or you need to get 2 class C blocks from your upstream ISP to allocate to your customers.

I am not familiar with the ubiquiti system but it appears to work like the motorola canopy system. They newer method is to use LTE like the cell companies use but use it on the unlicensed bands. It is said to perform much better but I have never use the equipment.

Be aware the 5G stuff the cell phone companies are going to put out is likely gong to put you out of business in 2-3 years so you need to look at how long it will take to break even on your equipment costs.