[SOLVED] WISP Packet Loss

Nov 29, 2018
I just moved to a new area with cable internet, but unfortunately they haven't run it to my neighborhood yet and don't plan to until at least next year. Between the two choices of DSL and a WISP, I picked the WISP for better download speeds and would deal with whatever latency problems.

Fast forward to now, it works pretty well and I am fine with latency (around 30ms normally, 20 at good times) but I seem to be getting packet loss on upload when sending many packets at once. I confirmed it was from sending too many while playing Rocket League and changing network settings to send less packets (that made the packet loss number in the game drop dramatically).

I usually play on WIFI but I tried wired and nothing improved. I have tried to configure any QoS settings in my router I could but to no avail. I'm just trying to eliminate any problems on my end before calling the WISP. If anyone has any other ideas as to what it could be I would appreciate it, my router is the Orbi RBK50 and it worked fine before moving and using this service.

(In case it matters, there is a dish/satellite/bridge on the house that goes to a relay on another house that then sends the information to a tower connected to fiber.)

Solution
If the problem is actually in the WISP network you will be able to do nothing about it.

It only takes 1 wind storm to move the alignment just enough to cause issues. It may not even be on your end sometime the equipment on the towers gets moved.

To a point it depends on which system your WISP provider is using. If they are really cheap and are just using WiFi then you have the same issue as wifi. It is half duplex and without central control mulitple people will at times transmit at the same time. This causes packet loss and delay spikes.

Some of the better systems have a central control on each tower that requires each end station to request a block of time before it transmits. This tends to share the upload data speed...
If the problem is actually in the WISP network you will be able to do nothing about it.

It only takes 1 wind storm to move the alignment just enough to cause issues. It may not even be on your end sometime the equipment on the towers gets moved.

To a point it depends on which system your WISP provider is using. If they are really cheap and are just using WiFi then you have the same issue as wifi. It is half duplex and without central control mulitple people will at times transmit at the same time. This causes packet loss and delay spikes.

Some of the better systems have a central control on each tower that requires each end station to request a block of time before it transmits. This tends to share the upload data speed better.

Download is not affected because the tower just sends everyone data all mixed together and the end user radios sort it out.

Still even with the advanced systems there can be too many users and too much total data so you get loss. Not much they can do I have yet to see a wisp refuse to add another customer because their system was full.

Test in the middle of the night and see if it is load/user related.

I would call the wisp and have them look at the signal levels. They should be able to get into your radio remotely and check without coming out to the house. Again this depends on if they are using the equipment designed for WISP use or they just hacked together wifi bridges.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS