raediddy

Commendable
Jul 28, 2018
Hi all,

Got a new laptop, spec:

• Intel® Core™ i5-9300H Processor
  • RAM: 8 GB / Storage: 512 GB SSD
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4GB
I’m trying to play the Witcher 3 but it’s really stuttery, after checking FPS im stuck around 35 FPS at 1080p but strangely this doesn’t change whatsoever if I’m running low settings or ultra, with with hair works enabled or disabled.

I’ve updated Nvidia and Intel drivers, I’ve set the programme to always run using the GTX1650, I’ve messed with full screen, borderless windowed, V-sync on off, in game FPS limiter. Absolutely nothing impacts the frame rate. Just sits stuck between 30-40, even in cutscenes or standing idle.

I’ve made sure to disable overlays like windows game bar and geforce experience and launching it straight from the executable rather than through GOG or GeForce.

At this point I’m out of ideas. The game runs flawlessly on low settings on my GTX760 desktop. I can’t understand why changing from low settings and no hair works to ultra with max hair works has absolutely no bearing on the FPS, in fact the game looks smoother and better unsurprisingly, just still <Mod Edit> stuttering frame rate.

Any advice would be really appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:

raediddy

Commendable
Jul 28, 2018
check cpu temp during the game?
ram usage?

I have now, temp doesn’t go over 60 degrees but usage spiking from 50-100% every few seconds.

Ram usage stays below 6800mb

CPU issue maybe? Not sure what I can do about that. But I find it hard to believe this rig couldn’t play the game on low settings at a very comfortable 60+ FPS

raediddy

Commendable
Jul 28, 2018
As this is a new laptop I just installed a new game to test that as well.

I chose Heroes of the Storm as it was a fast install and not very intensive. I can barely scrape a stable 40 FPS on the lowest settings.

Something isn’t right with this laptop. I should note that the OS is extremely sluggish once a game is running.