Witcher 3 RU OLD? What does that mean?

Koushick Talukdar

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2014

That thread has so many varied answers I'm left even more nervous and confused now haha. Some say its region locked, but some say that RU OLD implies the steam key was bought prior to steam clamping down on russian steam keys so it should be fine.

I didn't know that this was a russian key, just got it from cjs cd keys.

Oh so you didn't suspect the site that somehow has magically cheaper CD keys as possibly being not 100% legit? If something is too good to be true, it usually is.

Koushick Talukdar

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2014

Well I bought the key in August last year when I was relatively new to PC gaming and to using Steam platform as a whole since I was previously a console gamer. Back then I didn't know that Steam priced their games regionally, nor did I know that the website CJS Keys was selling Russian keys. I just thought that the website was just another retailer that had more competitive prices.

Hi,

Several months ago, Valve adjusted the Steam trading policy to prohibit cross-region trades in and out of Russia. This was done in response to the rapid drop in the exchange rate for the Russian Rouble. Enterprising individuals would simply pay Russian friends to purchase the game for them in the cheaper Russian currency and send the purchase as a gift on Steam.

It is no longer possible to trade a purchase made using the Rouble to an account using another currency. Purchases made before this change occurred can still be traded.

Koushick Talukdar

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2014

CORRECTION**: I bought the game back in August 2014, not in 2013.

Right, so does this mean I won'be able to PLAY the game at all anymore even though I made the purchase before Steam enabled Region-Lock?

The Russian region lock was put in place in December 2014. Since you preordered it in August 2014 you should not have any problems playing the game.

EDIT: As a side note, you may get a Russia-localized version of the game which may include language limitations and censorship. I have no idea how Steam handles this or whether or not CDPR is distributing localized versions.

Koushick Talukdar

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2014

Thank you for the information. I guess I will only find out once the game launches.

I heard that the game went gold recently and that Xbone users can now preload the game. I'm thinking that if I am able to play the game, I should be able to pre-load the game on steam once it's enabled. I don't have that option yet - does anyone know when that will be enabled?

Whenever they enable it for preloading on Steam :p

PapaWood

Reputable
Apr 15, 2015
I thought people weren't allowed to use thpse Pick as the solution buttons? Or ask or beg for it? Sr. Moderator told me to remove it from my Sig which I did of course, but got the idea from someone elses sig.

Koushick Talukdar

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2014

:D

I should have expected that. I'm curious though, let's just that it is region locked and I am unable to play the game. If I buy the key from Steam this time, would it override the copy that I have currently in my library?

Oh you'll be able to play the game, no doubt about that. Steam region locking applies only to delivering a purchased game into another player's library as a gift. There are now limits on where games purchased using Russian currency can be delivered, and that's mostly to other eastern European and Asian countries.

The question that I don't have an answer for is whether or not you'll be playing the same game as the rest of the North American audience. Yours may be language locked to Russian or something.

Koushick Talukdar

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2014

Right, so lets say the language is locked in Russian etc , I'm sure there must be some sort of fix to install the english language packs. But even then I thought you could just change the game's default voice language to English in the option menu like most games do.