Question Without building a new system?

Jan 1, 2022
Alright a few years ago I built a budget gaming pc ($500) which got me a asrock b250m-hdv mobo, a pentium g4560, a evga gtx 1050ti ssc and a evga power supply with a simple yet mega airflow case and a massive hdd.

This year I have decided to start streaming games from the pc and from my xbox via capture card. That being said, this is a board for 7th gen processors which means my options are fairly limited.

My question to all of you is, without building a whole new system and hopefully retaining the motherboard, what would be my best bet for upgrades to start streaming?
I understand that my current build is capable of streaming games like csgo,minecraft and other less intensive games but I'll eventually want to play other things.

Jan 1, 2022
What about graphics cards? I'm willing to part with my 1050ti if itll help. I just dont want to be a snob and go spend exorbitant prices on the top of the line cards just to play at 1080p (high res monitors arent in my budget even if it sounds wierd.)

I say that because I also will be getting a series x as well. Tax season and all.

What about graphics cards? I'm willing to part with my 1050ti if itll help. I just dont want to be a snob and go spend exorbitant prices on the top of the line cards just to play at 1080p (high res monitors arent in my budget even if it sounds wierd.)

I say that because I also will be getting a series x as well. Tax season and all.
GPU prices are through the roof right now. Better stick with the 1050ti for now.

Reactions: Rrickner
Jan 1, 2022
Stick with the 1050ti, for now. What is your upgrade budget? What is the speed of your ram? Definitely get yourself an SSD, then use the HDD for storage. You want to run your games on a drive separate from the OS, especially for streaming purposes.

Tha ls for the heads up on GPU prices. I just checked and holy hell!! I paid 150 for the 1050ti from best buy, I cant believe how expensive they are now.

My ram is 16gb 2x8 ddr4 2400 cl16 corsair vengeance iirc. I've heard that 2400 isnt the fastest but it seems to be fine with what I've run so far

Jan 1, 2022
Oh sorry I didnt mention budget yet. Honestly im not sure. I'll have around 1900 when taxes come back.. I cant spend all of it on pc parts either as I'll need other things to get set up such as lighting, web cam, a desk and chair and so on. I literally have my pc set up on a short tv stand right now that I use my daughters big joe chair to play on and it kills my back. Apologies for the long explanation. Just giving yall an idea of what's going on.

The power supply is a evga 430watt which I am open to upgrading because I've seen that they arent that expensive. I'll probably also need a cooler for the cpu. I've been using a stock intel cooler for the pentium haha

Jan 1, 2022
I also just realized my board doesnt allow overclocking so getting a unlocked cpu would be pointless. By thetime I'm ready to upgrade again I'll probably go for a much faster more modern build.

Oh sorry I didnt mention budget yet. Honestly im not sure. I'll have around 1900 when taxes come back.. I cant spend all of it on pc parts either as I'll need other things to get set up such as lighting, web cam, a desk and chair and so on. I literally have my pc set up on a short tv stand right now that I use my daughters big joe chair to play on and it kills my back. Apologies for the long explanation. Just giving yall an idea of what's going on.

The power supply is a evga 430watt which I am open to upgrading because I've seen that they arent that expensive. I'll probably also need a cooler for the cpu. I've been using a stock intel cooler for the pentium haha

I also just realized my board doesnt allow overclocking so getting a unlocked cpu would be pointless. By thetime I'm ready to upgrade again I'll probably go for a much faster more modern build.

If you are planning to build a new machine then it would be wiser to get parts which you can carry on to the next build. I would make these changes maybe to make a solid foundation for you upcoming build...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU Cooler | Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler | $49.99 @ Amazon
Case | Phanteks Eclipse P400 ATX Mid Tower Case | $59.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply | Corsair RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | $84.99 @ Newegg
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total (before mail-in rebates) | $214.97
| Mail-in rebates | -$20.00
| Total | $194.97
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-01-06 12:57 EST-0500 |

These will serve your current build well, as well as the following one. Skip the case if you already have a good one.

logainofhades

Titan

With that budget, you could probably upgrade to a 12400, and B660, SSD, and a higher quality PSU, and still have plenty left over. You can always upgrade the ram, at a later date, once you get a faster GPU. Even a 12600k, and Z690 would leave you with more than $1k left over. The 12600k would be a better choice, for streaming also.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12600K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor ($297.00 @ Walmart)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler ($64.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($219.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital WD_BLACK SN750 SE 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA P2 650 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $776.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-01-06 13:28 EST-0500

Jan 1, 2022
Thank you guys! That actually sounds like a decent build I think i will go that route! I have saved the build. And lga1700 is new enough to be around for a while isnt it? And to think, I considered an i7 7700k for the same price as that it5 12600k smh.

The 12400 is going to be a nice chip, but for streaming, the 12600k is superior, as the E cores can handle streaming tasks.
Modern processors have become so efficient that you can even stream on a dual core.
Yes seperate cores can do it better but do you really need them at a higher cost? I don't think so.
Is it good to have when your budget is sufficient? Yes.
When you can get similar kind of performance at a couple of hundred bucks less, why not wait and see how it fares side by side. Can turn out to be beneficial eventually.

Fully parted, minus the gpu, 12400f based computer;

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12400F 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor ($186.33 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S redux 70.75 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($219.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($64.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Case: BitFenix Nova Mesh SE ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.56 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA P2 650 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $760.79
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-01-07 12:07 EST-0500

Some titles are already using the extra threads of current 6/12c chips. Without a more modern RTX card, for the latest/greatest NVENC, I wouldn't want to try and stream on a 6c/12t CPU. With how stupid GPU pricing is, getting the 12600k the better option. right now.
If anything he can use his old computer to make a 2 PC stream setup eliminating the need for the 12600k and reusing his old PC. I'm no expert, but I think that would work well.

Some titles are already using the extra threads of current 6/12c chips. Without a more modern RTX card, for the latest/greatest NVENC, I wouldn't want to try and stream on a 6c/12t CPU. With how stupid GPU pricing is, getting the 12600k the better option. right now.
That is a handful of games and they still don't saturate all threads completely. I still have a i5 650 machine, the lowest first generation i5 with 2c/4t paired with a 750ti running Windows 10 on a 900p screen and i have GTA 5 loaded in there which still runs at pretty decent FPS. I can share a screenshot if you want. And that is a pretty CPU centric game. It will take another couple of threads to stream it probably, so i cannot fully agree to that as i can see a lot of streamers doing fine with 12 threads on most games.
Anyways there is no point in this discussion and OP can do his own research if he wants.

Last edited:

logainofhades

Titan
That is a handful of games and they still don't saturate all threads completely. I still have a i5 650 machine, the lowest first generation i5 with 2c/4t paired with a 750ti running Windows 10 on a 900p screen and i have GTA 5 loaded in there which still runs at pretty decent FPS. I can share a screenshot if you want. And that is a pretty CPU centric game. It will take another couple of threads to stream it probably, so i cannot fully agree to that as i can see a lot of streamers doing fine with 12 threads on most games.
Anyways there is no point in this discussion and OP can do his own research if he wants.

GTA5 is old as dirt, and very low on core/thread usage. Shadow of the Tomb raider, which isn't exactly new anymore, I have seen benches of it using 75% of an R5 3600. Newer titles can be even more core/thread heavy. Spending a little more now, avoids spending a lot more later. If GPU pricing was not so stupid, I would agree that a 12400 is a great idea, as even 1660s, I believe, has the latest NVENC.

GTA5 is old as dirt, and very low on core/thread usage. Shadow of the Tomb raider, which isn't exactly new anymore, I have seen benches of it using 75% of an R5 3600. Newer titles can be even more core/thread heavy. Spending a little more now, avoids spending a lot more later. If GPU pricing was not so stupid, I would agree that a 12400 is a great idea, as even 1660s, I believe, has the latest NVENC.
This pretty much sums up how good it is...
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-core-i5-12400-review