[SOLVED] WLAN and LAN from public WiFi

Jan 27, 2019
Hi everyone,

I moved-in in a new flat some weeks ago. Unfortunately, no landline is setup yet and I can't even expect more than 13MBps from it. A public hotspot is available here from which I can get almost 100MBps.

I have an idea about what I want to get but I don't really know what I need to achieve this: my router is connected to the public access point and provides internet through LAN ports as well as a private WiFi network. I would also like to encrypt my communication on public WiFi (with OpenVPN for example).

I checked Synology routers (would be very interested to by one) but I don't know which operation mode would fit my needs. From the informations I have, the setup would be: Wireless Bridge connected to Synology MR2200AC with a RJ45 cable, and the router would provide LAN and WLAN networks.

Maybe you could shed some light on my lanterns, every contribution is welcome!

Thank you!

Solution

The router that provides your private LAN/WIFI would be the endpoint of the VPN. All traffic would be encrypted. It is possible that you can't make your router a VPN endpoint while using WIFI as the WAN source. It may only support VPN endpoint when routing traffic to the WAN port. BUT performance of VPN with a router is not great. Home routers don't have enough CPU to be a great VPN endpoint. Some of the latest quad core...
Jan 27, 2019

Ok, Thank you! :) And what about the remaining part (router that connect to public network and provides WLAN/LAN)?

kanewolf

Titan

The router that provides your private LAN/WIFI would be the endpoint of the VPN. All traffic would be encrypted. It is possible that you can't make your router a VPN endpoint while using WIFI as the WAN source. It may only support VPN endpoint when routing traffic to the WAN port. BUT performance of VPN with a router is not great. Home routers don't have enough CPU to be a great VPN endpoint. Some of the latest quad core routers can support 100Mbit VPN but it is not a common capability.

Solution