Wlan station needs to be connected directly to the computer

Petsku333

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
So the internet comes in from the wall into my Telewell 501, which is connected to my computer and a wireless router. Now the thing is how do I get my printer and every application that needs wireless access to my computer to work in this configuration. Everything works fine if I have my computer directly connected to the wireless router. Computer - wireless router - telewell - internet. But when I have a "T" connection going to the D-link router from the telewell I can't get anything to connect to my computer.

Solution
I believe the Telewell 501 has a built in router, and so does the Dlink. So they create two different networks that cannot see each other. To make it one network you can put all your devices behind the Dlink, as you mentioned. Another way to do it is to connect your PC directly to your Telewell 501 and connect your Dlink directly to your Telewell 501, but you need to run your Dlink in AP mode. To do this you need to go into the Dlink setup and disable its LAN DHCP server. Then you need to take the cable coming from the Telewell 501 and plug it into a LAN port on the Dlink and not the WAN port. You will not use the Dlink WAN port with this setup. Now it should work.
I believe the Telewell 501 has a built in router, and so does the Dlink. So they create two different networks that cannot see each other. To make it one network you can put all your devices behind the Dlink, as you mentioned. Another way to do it is to connect your PC directly to your Telewell 501 and connect your Dlink directly to your Telewell 501, but you need to run your Dlink in AP mode. To do this you need to go into the Dlink setup and disable its LAN DHCP server. Then you need to take the cable coming from the Telewell 501 and plug it into a LAN port on the Dlink and not the WAN port. You will not use the Dlink WAN port with this setup. Now it should work.

Solution

Petsku333

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010

Thank you very much. I disabled DHCP and swapped the cable to a LAN port and it's just how I wanted it!