Woah Cisco buys checkpoint

Cisco Systems Acquires Check Point Software Technologies.

SAN JOSE, Calif., April 5 - Cisco Systems Inc. today announced an agreement
to purchase publicly held Check Point Software Technologies (NASDAQ: CKP), a
networking manufacturer of advanced enterprise firewall equipment and next
generation aplication layer intrusion prevention technology integrated into
its Checkpoint NG product line. The investment is intended to broaden
Cisco's offerings for security conscious network administrators who want to
protect network resources against the new threat of application layer based
application attacks. Through its acquisition, Cisco will gain Check Point
Software Technologies's (NG) Application Layer Intelligence which will
enhance the entire PIX Security Appliance product line for the current and
upcoming next generation application based threats.

Under the terms of the agreement, Cisco will pay approximately $530 million
in cash for all outstanding shares not already held by Cisco and will
convert outstanding Checkpoint options to Cisco options. The acquisition of
Checkpoint is subject to various standard closing conditions and is expected
to close in the third quarter of Cisco's fiscal year 2004.

"This acquisition further enhances Cisco's strategy to build secure
intelligent global networks that seamlessly integrate security and other
intelligent services with the network infrastructure," said Luca Cafiero,
Senior Vice President of Cisco Switching, Voice, and Storage Technology
Group, "Checkpoint adds to Cisco's extensive product portfolio that enables
our enterprise and service provider customers to build secure, resilient,
and intelligent networks with high performance and scalability."

The Checkpoint acquisition further enhances Cisco's Self Defending Network
strategy of deploying proactive, self-defending, and self-healing networks,
and building advanced security into the network infrastructure. With this
acquisition, Cisco's security solutions will provide end-to-end,
multi-layered, and integrated security defense, with a goal of maximizing
network resiliency.

Application layer attacks represent a severe threat to the availability of
network and data center resources and can severely impact enterprises and
service providers. Checkpoint delivers an innovative solution that protects
online operations from sophisticated application layer attacks by detecting
and blocking malicious traffic without impacting legitimate business
transactions. Quick detection and mitigation of these attacks enables
businesses to stay online and reliably service their customers without
interruption.

Upon close of the acquisition, Checkpoint will become part of Cisco's
Internet Switching Business Unit, reporting to Luca Cafiero, Senior Vice
President, and its products will be sold through Cisco sales channels. Check
Point Software Technologies, Was founded founded in 1991

About Cisco Systems
Cisco Systems, Inc. (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in networking for
the Internet. Information on Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For
ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com.

# # #

Cisco, Cisco Systems, and the Cisco Systems logo are registered trademarks
of Cisco Systems, Inc. and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and certain other
countries. All other trademarks mentioned in this document are the property
of their respective owners.

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 17:29:54 -0400, "John Gibb" <jgibb304@aol.com>
wrote:

>Cisco Systems Acquires Check Point Software Technologies.

Which means that they also bought Zone Labs, which Checkpoint acquired
recently. Interesting.

KW

: wrote:

: >Cisco Systems Acquires Check Point Software Technologies.

: Which means that they also bought Zone Labs, which Checkpoint acquired
: recently. Interesting.

: KW

but unlikely since this announcement seems to have only appeared on this newsgroup without any
url pointing to either checkpoint or cisco and seems to be absent from the press release page
for either organization.

On 6 Apr 2004 07:35:11 GMT, Richard H Miller spoketh

>Kenneth Weiss (nycgreen60@yahoo.com) wrote:
>: On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 17:29:54 -0400, "John Gibb" <jgibb304@aol.com>
>: wrote:
>
>: >Cisco Systems Acquires Check Point Software Technologies.
>
>: Which means that they also bought Zone Labs, which Checkpoint acquired
>: recently. Interesting.
>
>: KW
>

>but unlikely since this announcement seems to have only appeared on this newsgroup without any
>url pointing to either checkpoint or cisco and seems to be absent from the press release page
>for either organization.

Kinda sounds like a late Aprils fools ...

Lars M. Hansen
http://www.hansenonline.net

The financial news doesn't seem to know about it either. Seems to be
that I've heard this news before on April 1st a few years back.
hmmmm.

--
Michael Vore, W3CCV M-ASA [Ka8]; WHIRL, ABC; CAW, CW, AAW
http://mike.vorefamily.net/omw <- NEW * * Turned Wood items