WOL works from sleep, but not from power off

AnimalHungry

Reputable
Feb 24, 2015
I'm trying to get WOL functionality working on my Windows 10 PC. It works from sleep mode but not from a power off state. Here’s my setup:

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
ASRock H97M Pro 4 motherboard
Intel Core i3 4130T CPU
8 GB DDR RAM
AMD Radeon HD 7700 GPU
Netgear R7000 Nighthawk Router with a wired ethernet connection to the PC

I’ve been using Mocha WOL on my iPhone to send the magic packets, which works from sleep but not from power off. I’ve updated the BIOS, chipset drivers and NIC drivers, then disabled hibernation and enabled WOL in the BIOS. Then in Windows 10 I’ve enabled WOL in the NIC properties.

It’s annoying because before I upgraded to Win 10 WOL worked great, but any ideas what I can try now to make WOL work from a power off state?

Cheers
Simon

This is one of things that microsoft needed to keep their hands off of. WoL really has nothing to do with the OS. There could be any OS loaded on the hard drive, we used to network boot diskless devices even.

I would try it without the WoL setting in windows. It should work with just the BIOS. The problem is microsoft has its own WoL function that some bios support so it gets very messy to get this to work.

AnimalHungry

Reputable
Feb 24, 2015
Thanks. I unchecked all the wake up functions in the Advanced - Power Management tab of the Windows network adapter properties, but it didn’t work, and now it doesn’t even WOL from a sleep state :-(