[SOLVED] Wondering about possible bottleneck

mekyle99

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2016
Hi guys, just curious about which NVIDIA gpus would be bottlenecked by my i5-8600k. I don't oc it because I don't really trust my thermals.

Solution
Well I have a i7 6800K and your CPU is 20% better than mine. I currently have an GTX 1080 @ 1440p.

Looking online my own CPU would bottleneck the RTX cards sadly. I can't afford a new motherboard and CPU so I will have to wait.

You may be hitting the same wall. Also bottlenecks get worse the lower your resolution.
Looking online is useless, those bottleneck calculators are complete misleading garbage. You need to investigate for yourself what is limiting your gaming experience. At 1440p I’d expect you cpu to still do well.
Stop thinking about bottlenecks. Buy what will work with your system, and what you want to do. A recommended balanced GPU will vary depending on the resolution you play, the games you play, and the FPS you want to hit. If you want to play 4k 144Hz, you need whatever powerful GPU you can get your hands on, if you just want 1080p 60 FPS your options are more mid range, like a 2060 Super, or if you can wait, one of the newer generation of cards, the RTX 3000 series.

Well I have a i7 6800K and your CPU is 20% better than mine. I currently have an GTX 1080 @ 1440p.

Looking online my own CPU would bottleneck the RTX cards sadly. I can't afford a new motherboard and CPU so I will have to wait.

You may be hitting the same wall. Also bottlenecks get worse the lower your resolution.

Looking online is useless, those bottleneck calculators are complete misleading garbage. You need to investigate for yourself what is limiting your gaming experience. At 1440p I’d expect you cpu to still do well.

Solution
?

Please clarify what you mean here.

Pretty simple really.

The CPU handles all the physics, lighting directions and their shadows, asset loading and assigning, sound and then calls on the GPU to render the frames to display the final product.

For example with a RTX 3080 a 1080p frame is piss easy while a 4K frame is x4 more harder. So the 1080p frame is going to be a lot faster to complete and the GPU will then want the next set of info for it's work but if the CPU is not fast enough handing out that information to keep up with the GPU's fast rendering of the 1080p frames the GPU is going to start to be delayed in it's work load as it has to wait for the CPU to complete it's task before it can continue to do it's own. The higher the resolution the more the scale shifts over to the GPU side of things.

Last edited:

Well only one person I know who owns a RTX 3080 is my American friend who I play Borderlands games with and he has a i7 6600K. He's seeing huge bottlenecks at 1080p so I can easily presume mine will be the same near enough at 1440p. There are posts online about the RTX 2080 doing yhe same thing but only round about 10%ish

USAFRet

Titan
Pretty simple really.

The CPU handles all the physics, lighting directions and their shadows, asset loading and assigning, sound and then calls on the GPU to render the frames to display the final product.

For example with a RTX 3080 a 1080p frame is piss easy while a 4K frame is x4 more harder. So the 1080p frame is going to be a lot faster to complete and the GPU will then want the next set of info for it's work but if the CPU is not fast enough handing out that information to keep up with the GPU's fast rendering of the 1080p frames the GPU is going to start to be delayed in it's work load as it has to wait for the CPU to complete it's task before it can continue to do it's own. The higher the resolution the more the scale shifts over to the GPU side of things.
Correct.
But "the bottlenecks get worse" is a meaningless concept.

Framerate, at a chosen level of eyecandy is what matters.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
Well only one person I know who owns a RTX 3080 is my American friend who I play Borderlands games with and he has a i7 6600K. He's seeing huge bottlenecks at 1080p so I can easily presume mine will be the same near enough at 1440p. There are posts online about the RTX 2080 doing yhe same thing but only round about 10%ish

the term "bottleneck" is thrown around as if it is somehow breaking or damaging the cpu/gpu. all it means is that the gpu will have some extra work it could possibly do if asked to do it. i like to compare this stuff to cars since most folks can understand how cars work. if you have a car with 1000 horsepower that does not mean the car is always running at full load and pushing out 1000 hp. if you only push the gas peddle a little bit, the car may only go 30 mph and be using 100 hp. this does not mean the engine is being damaged or somehow is not good for it. it just means if you push the peddle a little more, you can get more out of it. having too much gpu is the same idea. it will do what you ask of it until it can't do any more. if you don't ask it to do 100% what it can, then it will still do what you ask of it. not like it sits back and refuses to work until you push it 100%. lol

your friend buying a 3080 for 1080p was stupid on his part and is not a reflection of the rest of the system. NO CPU can push it to its max at that low resolution. he bought that 1000 hp car to do grocery runs in town at a 35 mph speed limit!!

You have a 6800k? That’s 6 core 12 threads, his is a 6600k? That’s 4 core 4 threads. The 6800k is massively better for modern games. Also running 1440p is significantly more gpu demanding.

You have a 6800k? That’s 6 core 12 threads, his is a 6600k? That’s 4 core 4 threads. The 6800k is massively better for modern games. Also running 1440p is significantly more gpu demanding.

The videos on youtube of benchmarks are all coming out now and the i7 6000-8000 CPU's just don't cut it. There is a HUGE bottleneck. Your CPU is at the very edge of whats usable with RTX cards.

So what I'm saying this is what's happening to you. It's kinda silly that the RTX GPU's are so powerful that a large majority of peoples systems are not up to par to run next-gen games as these GPU's need such a ah heck load of CPU horse power to run 100%.

The videos on youtube of benchmarks are all coming out now and the i7 6000-8000 CPU's just don't cut it. There is a HUGE bottleneck. Your CPU is at the very edge of whats usable with RTX cards.

So what I'm saying this is what's happening to you. It's kinda silly that the RTX GPU's are so powerful that a large majority of peoples systems are not up to par to run next-gen games as these GPU's need such a ah heck load of CPU horse power to run 100%.
At 1080p yes a system can easily be cpu limited with the latest RTX cards but overall performance is still good you just don’t get the full potential of the gpu. When you increase resolution then the chance of a cpu limitation drops.

TRENDING THREADS