[SOLVED] Wondering if my M2 SSd is going bad

nabilelmjati

Commendable
Jun 27, 2018
Hi guys,

I have had an intel SSD 660P 2TB for about a year. It has been used extensively. And is performing great, however on two occasions, one was 5 months ago and one today, upon trying to access the drive, windows 10 can see the drive and all its content, but whenever i try to get into of the folders i get an error that the location is not available. Going to properties windows 10 sees the drive and its size etc. When i try to copy from it i get Invalid Ms dos function error.
Once i rebooted the pc everything works fine.

I ran crystaldiskinfo for the first time just now and it says the health status is 100% good.

should i be worried?

I don't know too much about ssds failing, but about that specific drive you should know that is it is in fact a
QLC flash drive. QLC drives hold 4 readings per cell and because of some science things with electrons they die faster.
much faster. theyre intended for steam folders or video saving folders where you put all your stuff on and only grab it when you need.
you should see if you still have warrenty, cause to me that looks like an ssd starting to fail, but dont quote me since i dont know.

nabilelmjati

Commendable
Jun 27, 2018
does your board have an additional NVME slot you could put the drive in? That would both get it reseated and tested in an additional slot, meaning any future recurrences would pretty much point to the drive itself...

Only slot i have.

So are the ssd diagnostics tools accurate? I tried both intel and crystaldiskinfo and they said disk is operating at 100% with no faults or bad sectors. Could it be an issue with windows 10 then?

Latest posts