Question Won't Boot with DisplayPort, When In Windows with DisplayPort, Stuck at 24hz ?

larghaz

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2013
I have an Asus Strix 1080Ti OC, and an Asus Swift PG279Q. I've had them for a few years now. About three weeks ago though, when I turn on the PC, I noticed that the display would stay black until it got to Windows 10. It wouldn't even show Windows loading with the dots going around in a circle. However, the monitor was stuck at 24hz. Trying to change it to a higher refresh rate was impossible as there were no other options available, just 24hz.

Then shortly after that, it would just stop booting as long as I was using the Display Port altogether. I was running a dual display (using an HDMI to a TV as second monitor) setup.

The problem started on my old build, a x99 machine. But I recently updated to a Z590. motherboard. Moved the GPU over but the problem still persisted.

Did a bit of research and these are what I've tried:
  1. Made sure that the cable was secure in both the Monitor and GPU ports.
  2. Tried a different Cable for the Display Port.
  3. Reset the Monitor
  4. Update / Reinstall Nvidia Driver
None of these have worked so far.

larghaz

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2013
Just wanted to share that I found a fix for the issue without replacing the card or monitor.

What was used:
2 Displays - In my case it was the TV that I was using and the PG279Q I was having trouble with.
2 HDMI Cables
1 Display Port Cable - The one I was already using.
1080Ti - The same one I was using.

The fix:
Was using HDMI for the PG279Q for the longest time with a dual display setup with the TV. It correctly used the 60Hz for the monitor. I decided to try plugging in the display port cable while two HDMI's were also plugged into the graphics card. Switched the monitor to Display Port display and noticed that the refresh rate was actually at 60Hz too, instead of 24Hz. Decided to unplug the HDMI cable that was connected to the PG279Q from the card, and for some reason, the display dropped down to 24Hz again. Plugged the HDMI back in, switched to HDMI mode for the monitor, then back to Display Port, got the 60Hz again. The monitor was only showing the desktop though, and no windows that I move from the TV to it showed up. So, I switch back to HDMI mode again, moved the Windows Display setting to the TV, then switched the monitor back to Display port. Looked into the Windows Display settings, and saw that 144Hz was again showing for the monitor, so I set it to that. Then I set the PG279Q to the primary display again, since for some reason, it set the TV as the primary, and things were showing up on the monitor again. Unplugged the HDMI cable, and that was it, everything's working as it should again.