Wordpad & Paint trying to use a forign language

When I click on print preview in Wordpad & Paint the buttons in the
preview window have blocks on them where there should be text such as
"print" "close" etc. If I do a print preview in other programs the
buttons are fine. It's like it's trying to use a foreign language &
can't display the characters. If I close Wordpad without saving my
document the window asking me to save it has the same problem.

I have a dual boot system & my second system doesn't have this
problem. I tried coping wordpad.exe to my primary system & it didn't
fix it. I was going to uninstall & re-install in add/remove programs
but wordpad isn't there.
How do I fix this?

TIA,
Frank

Hi Frank,

This happens if the file MFC42LOC.DLL is present in the System32 folder. To
resolve the problem, rename the file MFC42LOC.DLL present in the
C:\Windows\System32 folder (for Windows 2000/XP systems) and
C:\Windows\System (for Windows 9x systems)

The above applies to the following products:

Microsoft Paint
Microsoft WordPad
Microsoft Image Composer
Microsoft MapPoint 2000
Adobe PhotoDeluxe
Corel Photo-Paint

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Frankcw" <frankcw1@removetoreply.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> When I click on print preview in Wordpad & Paint the buttons in the
> preview window have blocks on them where there should be text such as
> "print" "close" etc. If I do a print preview in other programs the
> buttons are fine. It's like it's trying to use a foreign language &
> can't display the characters. If I close Wordpad without saving my
> document the window asking me to save it has the same problem.
>
> I have a dual boot system & my second system doesn't have this
> problem. I tried coping wordpad.exe to my primary system & it didn't
> fix it. I was going to uninstall & re-install in add/remove programs
> but wordpad isn't there.
> How do I fix this?
>
> TIA,
> Frank

I'v had that problem for two + years. Thanks for solving it, I thought I'd
have it forever!

Dave B

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Hi Frank,
>
> This happens if the file MFC42LOC.DLL is present in the System32 folder. To
> resolve the problem, rename the file MFC42LOC.DLL present in the
> C:\Windows\System32 folder (for Windows 2000/XP systems) and
> C:\Windows\System (for Windows 9x systems)
>
> The above applies to the following products:
>
> Microsoft Paint
> Microsoft WordPad
> Microsoft Image Composer
> Microsoft MapPoint 2000
> Adobe PhotoDeluxe
> Corel Photo-Paint
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Frankcw" <frankcw1@removetoreply.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > When I click on print preview in Wordpad & Paint the buttons in the
> > preview window have blocks on them where there should be text such as
> > "print" "close" etc. If I do a print preview in other programs the
> > buttons are fine. It's like it's trying to use a foreign language &
> > can't display the characters. If I close Wordpad without saving my
> > document the window asking me to save it has the same problem.
> >
> > I have a dual boot system & my second system doesn't have this
> > problem. I tried coping wordpad.exe to my primary system & it didn't
> > fix it. I was going to uninstall & re-install in add/remove programs
> > but wordpad isn't there.
> > How do I fix this?
> >
> > TIA,
> > Frank

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 20:29:20 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
<ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote:

>Hi Frank,
>
>This happens if the file MFC42LOC.DLL is present in the System32 folder. To
>resolve the problem, rename the file MFC42LOC.DLL present in the
>C:\Windows\System32 folder (for Windows 2000/XP systems) and
>C:\Windows\System (for Windows 9x systems)
>
>The above applies to the following products:
>
>Microsoft Paint
>Microsoft WordPad
>Microsoft Image Composer
>Microsoft MapPoint 2000
>Adobe PhotoDeluxe
>Corel Photo-Paint

Thanks You Ramesh.

I've had the problem for some time & that fixed it !!

Frank

You're welcome Frank.

--

> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 20:29:20 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
> <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote:
>
>>Hi Frank,
>>
>>This happens if the file MFC42LOC.DLL is present in the System32 folder.
>>resolve the problem, rename the file MFC42LOC.DLL present in the
>>C:\Windows\System32 folder (for Windows 2000/XP systems) and
>>C:\Windows\System (for Windows 9x systems)
>>
>>The above applies to the following products:
>>
>>Microsoft Paint
>>Microsoft WordPad
>>Microsoft Image Composer
>>Microsoft MapPoint 2000
>>Adobe PhotoDeluxe
>>Corel Photo-Paint
>
> Thanks You Ramesh.
>
> I've had the problem for some time & that fixed it !!
>
> Frank

Thanks for the feedback Dave.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Dave B" <DaveB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'v had that problem for two + years. Thanks for solving it, I thought
> I'd
> have it forever!
>
> Dave B
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Hi Frank,
>>
>> This happens if the file MFC42LOC.DLL is present in the System32 folder.
>> resolve the problem, rename the file MFC42LOC.DLL present in the
>> C:\Windows\System32 folder (for Windows 2000/XP systems) and
>> C:\Windows\System (for Windows 9x systems)
>>
>> The above applies to the following products:
>>
>> Microsoft Paint
>> Microsoft WordPad
>> Microsoft Image Composer
>> Microsoft MapPoint 2000
>> Adobe PhotoDeluxe
>> Corel Photo-Paint
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "Frankcw" <frankcw1@removetoreply.yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> > When I click on print preview in Wordpad & Paint the buttons in the
>> > preview window have blocks on them where there should be text such as
>> > "print" "close" etc. If I do a print preview in other programs the
>> > buttons are fine. It's like it's trying to use a foreign language &
>> > can't display the characters. If I close Wordpad without saving my
>> > document the window asking me to save it has the same problem.
>> >
>> > I have a dual boot system & my second system doesn't have this
>> > problem. I tried coping wordpad.exe to my primary system & it didn't
>> > fix it. I was going to uninstall & re-install in add/remove programs
>> > but wordpad isn't there.
>> > How do I fix this?
>> >
>> > TIA,
>> > Frank

Ramesh,
Thank you for this information. I have been trying for over a
month to resolve this issue, changing the name of the MFC42LOC.DLL took care
of it. To be more specific I think the print preview toolbar menu had
changed to Japanese characters. It also happened in some other applications.
Your resolution took care of it.

Ron

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Hi Frank,
>
> This happens if the file MFC42LOC.DLL is present in the System32 folder. To
> resolve the problem, rename the file MFC42LOC.DLL present in the
> C:\Windows\System32 folder (for Windows 2000/XP systems) and
> C:\Windows\System (for Windows 9x systems)
>
> The above applies to the following products:
>
> Microsoft Paint
> Microsoft WordPad
> Microsoft Image Composer
> Microsoft MapPoint 2000
> Adobe PhotoDeluxe
> Corel Photo-Paint
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Frankcw" <frankcw1@removetoreply.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > When I click on print preview in Wordpad & Paint the buttons in the
> > preview window have blocks on them where there should be text such as
> > "print" "close" etc. If I do a print preview in other programs the
> > buttons are fine. It's like it's trying to use a foreign language &
> > can't display the characters. If I close Wordpad without saving my
> > document the window asking me to save it has the same problem.
> >
> > I have a dual boot system & my second system doesn't have this
> > problem. I tried coping wordpad.exe to my primary system & it didn't
> > fix it. I was going to uninstall & re-install in add/remove programs
> > but wordpad isn't there.
> > How do I fix this?
> >
> > TIA,
> > Frank

Thanks for the feedback Ron.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"radam42" <radam42@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ramesh,
> Thank you for this information. I have been trying for over
> month to resolve this issue, changing the name of the MFC42LOC.DLL took
> care
> of it. To be more specific I think the print preview toolbar menu had
> changed to Japanese characters. It also happened in some other
> applications.
> Your resolution took care of it.
>
> Ron
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Hi Frank,
>>
>> This happens if the file MFC42LOC.DLL is present in the System32 folder.
>> resolve the problem, rename the file MFC42LOC.DLL present in the
>> C:\Windows\System32 folder (for Windows 2000/XP systems) and
>> C:\Windows\System (for Windows 9x systems)
>>
>> The above applies to the following products:
>>
>> Microsoft Paint
>> Microsoft WordPad
>> Microsoft Image Composer
>> Microsoft MapPoint 2000
>> Adobe PhotoDeluxe
>> Corel Photo-Paint
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "Frankcw" <frankcw1@removetoreply.yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> > When I click on print preview in Wordpad & Paint the buttons in the
>> > preview window have blocks on them where there should be text such as
>> > "print" "close" etc. If I do a print preview in other programs the
>> > buttons are fine. It's like it's trying to use a foreign language &
>> > can't display the characters. If I close Wordpad without saving my
>> > document the window asking me to save it has the same problem.
>> >
>> > I have a dual boot system & my second system doesn't have this
>> > problem. I tried coping wordpad.exe to my primary system & it didn't
>> > fix it. I was going to uninstall & re-install in add/remove programs
>> > but wordpad isn't there.
>> > How do I fix this?
>> >
>> > TIA,
>> > Frank