Work PC having issues.

May 21, 2018
So, one of the PCs in my work's office was having trouble getting booted up, and was just booting up to a black screen with a blinking cursor. So after some troubleshooting, we decided that we thought the motherboard was bad and bought a new motherboard. We installed this motherboard and now when trying to boot up we can't even get a signal to the monitor, so I'm not sure what I screwed up when installing the new motherboard, but obviously something was done wrong.

After running into these issues, we took the hard drive and tried using it on a different PC of the same model, and got the same problem with it booting up to the blinking cursor, so now we think it is an issue with the hard drive not booting properly.

So we're kind of stuck now and have no idea what to do. We kind of need to fix this motherboard issue before we can solve the HDD issue since we can't even get any signal output to the monitor. I'm not sure whether to try to put the old motherboard back in or not.

Edit: Here is the PC we're working with: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02153181

If you don't have an IT department to handle your computers, I'd hire a consultant for a day to sort out your issues. Would probably be about $20-30 an hour for a competent computer tech. For just troubleshooting booting issues you don't need some advanced system engineer or server admin, anyone with a few years experience on desktop side would be good.

If you need the computer up, put in the original motherboard, buy a new hard drive and install Windows clean on that if you can do that yourself, that should take care of things.