Work server from home PC

jeremy edwards

Reputable
Jun 9, 2014
I was wondering how to go about connecting to my work server from home. I am using windows 8.1 and I have IP, server name, admin account and pass. But when I search networks on my pc it doesn't show up. Ive tried following some online instructions but they make no sense. Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Solution
I'd imagine that you work server has at least rudimentary security on it, which will prevent you from connecting to it over the Internet. You need a VPN connection so that your computer is, in effect, a part of your work network. I'd say that your IT people should be able to help you with this but, as you have an admin account on the server, I guess you are one of the IT people.

McHenryB

Admirable
I'd imagine that you work server has at least rudimentary security on it, which will prevent you from connecting to it over the Internet. You need a VPN connection so that your computer is, in effect, a part of your work network. I'd say that your IT people should be able to help you with this but, as you have an admin account on the server, I guess you are one of the IT people.

Solution

jeremy edwards

Reputable
Jun 9, 2014

Yeah I am not IT, I work in the lab as a researcher. I spoke with the IT guy and he told me he hasn't set up a VPN and that's why I can't connect to it outside of the lab. Thanks for your advice!