Workaround Secure Boot W10/Linux

mbw1966

Honorable
Dec 6, 2015
New computer came with Win 7 Pro OEM installed. Decided to wait on installing Linux OS, until upgrade to Win 10 OEM was complete.
Upgraded to Win 10 OEM successfully. Went to install Linux OS, dual boot being the goal, found that "disabling Secure Boot" was not an option, in Bios or Win 10 menu, "recovery".
Note that I am have no install discs for either of the Win OSs.
Options?
1. Reverting back to Win 7 PRO OEM (Sill within 30 day upgrade/revert window). The success rate on reverting is mixed. Sometimes creates more problems.
2. Install Linux OS on a second HD, change via boot menu as needed.
3. Remove HD from new computer, has Win 10 installed, put in old computer, disable old drive, boot up with UBS drive that has Linux OS on it, do an install. Put new HD back in new computer.
The question is will the Bios in the new computer accept the new setup? Other issues that may be created.
Any other options?

Dedicated Linux user to 4 years now, no dual boot. However my wife has a new Win 10 laptop so good to be able to have on my computer as well to provide support

Thanks for help in advance.

Solution
The solution; With no option in BIOS to disable secure boot, decided to go with two separate hard drives, Linux Mint on the Master, Win 10 on the slave. Majority of time I work with Linux Mint...Win 10 is primarily used for specific programs and serving as resource to provide support for wife who uses Win 10.
Have you tried simply sticking the Linux disk in and installing?

Secure boot only started shipping with Win8, and is a part of the BIOS, not really Windows. If your board came with 7, it's almost certainly not got secure boot support.

Also, most newer Linux disks have a signed bootloader for Secure Boot + UEFI use.

PS: You should be able to burn recovery disks in Windows, and if not, you can get them here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/home

mbw1966

Honorable
Dec 6, 2015
I tried both a bootable USD and cd disk with Linux OS, Ubuntu and Linux Mint, earlier and later versions, checked the boot sequence in both Bios and boot sequence (F12 in my case) WIN 10 overrides the sequence, used the HD and goes right to the WIN 10 desktop.
BIOS does not show any option to enable or disable secure boot.

mbw1966

Honorable
Dec 6, 2015
The solution; With no option in BIOS to disable secure boot, decided to go with two separate hard drives, Linux Mint on the Master, Win 10 on the slave. Majority of time I work with Linux Mint...Win 10 is primarily used for specific programs and serving as resource to provide support for wife who uses Win 10.

Solution