Workgroup networking

Scopen

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2002
Heres the deal, I just recently formatted two dell systems that are used in a small office they are both connected togeather by a Cisco hub and to the internet through a dsl connection, they were seeing each other fine on the workgroup before the DSL was installed but after it, it seems that the two computers cant see each other in the workgroup in which they need to so they can see a printer. Things ive already done to troubleshoot:

-Installed Service Pack 4
-Checked windows Client for microsoft networks
-Ping each others IP (Sucessful)
-Simple things like the name of the workgroup are correct
-Each also has a diffrent computer name (one is WIA1 and other is WIA2)
-Have turned off software firewall and checked for connection but still unsucessful
-Renamed workgroup

I was wondering if anyone here has also had problems like these before and can help me with this problem, I emailed dell about the problem but they refuse to work on anything network unless its hardware related even though since they supplied the operating system with the computer which makes them responsible for users questions(Since microshit refuses too). Im also having problems with a home computer with windows 2000 also installed on it with seeing a XP computer but we've had dsl for over a year and could see each other fine and it wasnt till it was reformatted that the problem arrose(this computer has no service packs on it) so im guessing this is a fairly common problem with windows 2000, any advice?

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
is each PC authenticating successfully on the other? What I mean is, do you have same usernames and password, or are you authenticating manually on the other one by using the "connect using a different user name" option in the "map network drive" tool?

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
___________oOOo_(_(_)_)_oOOo___________
</pre><p>

Scopen

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2002
The computers cant even see each other to begin with so i cant set up networked drives, i have though in a effort to get them to work assigned the same username and password to both computers but it still does not work...

svol

Champion
Is the DSL line directly connected to the hub without a router inbetween? Normally there should be a router or a PC that acts as proxy/NAT to keep a clear line between the LAN and the WAN and to assign IPs to the internal PCs.

I love my Delta 60HP 7000 RPM fan that puts out more dB then CFM :eek:

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<A HREF="http://www6.tomshardware.com/network/20030716/index.html" target="_new">Read</A>
If not enough, will explain more.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

Scopen

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2002
Ok sorry i took so long to reply but we fixed the problem.... we bought another printer for the other computer but the fact is i still cant get file sharing going and id like to learn how to fix this if it ever arises in the future....

Now to clarify things, #1 is the computers cant see each other in local network neighborhood even if you do a search for the computer name, #2 the computers can ping each others IP with sucess #3 there are no routers in the set up only 1 cisco hub and then the dsl modem...

If anyone else has any ideas feel free to give your idea...

A new question how do you stop the online ads using the built in Messenger service on NT machines(NT, 2k, XP), i have a software firewall on each machine but they are still sending the ads in fact they are sending them to advertise for software to stop them which is a total rip off since i know there is a easy way to stop them just dont know how... The site im referring to is www.endads.com

Thanx again for everyone giving their brain power to help me with this issue...

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
did you share anything? What happens when you type

net view \\computername

at a DOS prompt on the other computer?

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
</pre><p>

Scopen

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2002
Yes they both have shares, i did the net view and all i got was:

System error 53 has occurred.

The network path was not found.

But when i did the netview on the computer i was on it showed all shares correctly...

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
you're not authenticated on the target machine. You can authenticate yourself for the whole machine (whatever that account is entitled to) by typing

net use \\computername\ipc$ /u:username password

Then try the net view command

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
</pre><p>