Question Working Dell Optiplex 7010, removed the CPU, put it back,, now it won't boot ?

May 13, 2024
Hi all,

Summary: took CPU out, added heat sink compound, put back in, and now it won't boot - with orange 2 - 3 lights!

Sorry about this newbie question. I have an old Dell Optiplex 7010 and it's been working great. I added an extra 16Gb ram so now it has 32 GB. I also recenly added a 2TB SSD and all has been good!

However, yesterday I bought a CPU that I thought would be an upgrade. I currently have a I7-3770. I bought a i7-4790 thinking that it would be a straight swop but i could see from the indents in the cpu mount that it was not the same. The cutouts were a couple of mm out. I put back the original CPU (being careful to earth myself on the chassis) , applied some heat sink compound (maybe too much?) and then rebooted. It was then I got the slow 2 and then 3 orange light flashes. Arg! Have I broken it ? I've checked all the connections from the PSU and all the other connections and it all looks good. I've turned it on with the side panel off and the CPU fan is coming on.

What can I do ?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

took CPU out, added heat sink compound, put back in, and now it won't boot - with orange 2 - 3 lights!
Can you elaborate on this?

yesterday I bought a CPU that I thought would be an upgrade. I currently have a I7-3770. I bought a i7-4790 thinking that it would be a straight swop but i could see from the indents in the cpu mount that it was not the same. The cutouts were a couple of mm out.
Which form factor do you have btw? You should know that the 3rd and 4th Gen processors are not interchangeable with their sockets. As such the 4th Gen processor will not work on a motherboard that supports 3rd Gen processors.

FYI, 2nd and 3rd Gen processor would work on the same boards, 4th and 5th Gen processors will work on the same board and are often interchangeable.

May 13, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

took CPU out, added heat sink compound, put back in, and now it won't boot - with orange 2 - 3 lights!
Can you elaborate on this?
Sure -

Sorry about this newbie question. I have an old Dell Optiplex 7010 and it's been working great. I added an extra 16Gb ram so now it has 32 GB. I also recenly added a 2TB SSD and all has been good!

However, yesterday I bought a CPU that I thought would be an upgrade. I currently have a I7-3770. I bought a i7-4790 thinking that it would be a straight swop but i could see from the indents in the cpu mount that it was not the same. The cutouts were a couple of mm out. I put back the original CPU (being careful to earth myself on the chassis) , applied some heat sink compound (maybe too much?) and then rebooted. It was then I got the slow 2 and then 3 orange light flashes. Arg! Have I broken it ? I've checked all the connections from the PSU and all the other connections and it all looks good. I've turned it on with the side panel off and the CPU fan is coming on.

What can I do ?

Thanks in advance for your help!

May 13, 2024
You just copy pasta'd the same post. Pass on the SU to your Dell OptiPlex.
Apologies. I realised the new CPU wouild not fit and so put back the original one. I then booted and got the orange lights. What can I do now ? It's now back to the original configuration but now flashes 2 and 3 orange lights. Thanks for replying

May 7, 2024
Check for bent pins or obstructions in your LGA 1155 socket as well as any foreign substances on the CPU contact pads. Otherwise, the CPU could have been fried from ESD. Your case will not be grounded unless your power supply was plugged into a wall socket.

Last edited:
Reactions: fixingmypc
Apologies. I realised the new CPU wouild not fit and so put back the original one. I then booted and got the orange lights. What can I do now ? It's now back to the original configuration but now flashes 2 and 3 orange lights. Thanks for replying
Place working CPU back in board boot with 1 memory stick in slot 2 the CPU may have damaged the board ram sticks etc. if your lucky it may have only taken out the board which means looking for the same exact board on eBay which is usually quite cheap to do

Reactions: fixingmypc
May 13, 2024
Place working CPU back in board boot with 1 memory stick in slot 2 the CPU may have damaged the board ram sticks etc. if your lucky it may have only taken out the board which means looking for the same exact board on eBay which is usually quite cheap to do
Thank you. I tried that but got the same 2 then 3 flashing orange light. I'll get a replacement board. Thanks again