Question Working system no longer boots to OS

Jul 5, 2023
I built my system over a year ago and it worked well until recently. I had to reboot and since then it goes through BIOS POST and starts an OS boot only to immediately halt or reboot.

I have used ASUS tech help and they wanted me to change BIOS boot setting to only boot windows. This failed.
I have flashed the original BIOS to the latest version. This fails just like before. I downgraded back to my working BIOS version and the problem persists. This is not a CSM, security or legacy boot BIOS problem.

I have removed all hardware so only the MoBo, memory and CPU are present. This was to eliminate other hardware conflicts. I am using the CPU's GPU for video. I boot from USB or DVD. I boot via USB key for windows 10 or windows 7 or Ubuntu or Linux Mint. Regardless the boot media or version or OS, the problem persists and is very repeatable. I have used my boot media on other machines and they boot just fine with the USB or DVD media. Yes, I have no storage installed but the OS will usually boot and then on install tell me that there is not storage to receive the install. The OS boot does not get that far to know what hardware is present I assume.
I have swapped the memory with another system and the problem persists. I have used just one of the two sticks and rotated through all four memory slots. I repeated with my other memory stick.

When booting, windows will show the dots flowing in a circle and it halts before completion of the first revolution. Some times it reboots other time it halts. I reported the MoBo codes to Asus but they did not reply.
Linux boots with screen I/O and halts after about 32 lines with "<time stamp> Linux agpgart interfance v.0.103"

I sent the MoBo back to ASUS for warranty. The could not repeat the problem. They upgraded the BIOS version and returned the MoBo to me. After installing my memory and CPU (fresh thermal paste between heat sink and CPU), the problem is still present.

I do not have a CPU to swap out but that seems to be the last option. Could it be a faulty CPU? Strange that I can fully navigate and change BIOS settings but an OS will not go far at all.

This is a dual boot systems with Window 10 pro and Linux Mint on the NMVe storage. However, since all system storage is removed it is not a virus. Since Asus was able to boot and they flashed the BIOS again, it is unlike a BIOS virus.

Asus ROG STRIX x570-E Gaming WIFI II
AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Crucial Ballistix Gaming memory 2x16GB DDR4-3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Gaming x4G
Inland Premium NMVe 1TB - boot
Samsung 860 EVO 500GB - data
LG M-Disc Blu-ray burner
Case by Antec DP-502 Flux
EVGA 750 GS power supply

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I would try and reinstall the OS after recreating the bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools onto a blank drive and see if you can make it to OS GUI. As for your platform, how old is the PSU in your build?

I would also try with a CMOS clear as you've stated that the BIOS was flashed by Asus themselves. Last thing you could try beyond trying out another known working APU or CPU, is to drop your own APU onto a known working motherboard with the right BIOS version and see if the issue persists.

Jul 5, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I would try and reinstall the OS after recreating the bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools onto a blank drive and see if you can make it to OS GUI. As for your platform, how old is the PSU in your build?

I would also try with a CMOS clear as you've stated that the BIOS was flashed by Asus themselves. Last thing you could try beyond trying out another known working APU or CPU, is to drop your own APU onto a known working motherboard with the right BIOS version and see if the issue persists.
I cannot boot to install anything. I have tried several working USB keys that boot well on all my other systems e.g HP8200 HP8300, Dell Optiplex 780, 9020, 7040, etc. I use my Linux USB key at surplus shops or when helping neighbors. I just tested booting with the two USB keys on my gaming laptop (2012 vintage) and they work well. This box, of this thread, will start an OS boot (live or for Install) but does not advance after a first 5 seconds.

I neglected to state that I cleared the CMOS before my BIOS upgrade and after the upgrade. I have tested and changed the battery as well.

All my equipment was bought new in January 2022.

Is there a way to test a CPU for full integrity? And you hit the nail on the head with swapping in a known good CPU. I have many Intel machines and old stuff. This is my first AMD AM4. Which is safer, to put my CPU on a working MoBo or to put a known good AM4 in my MoBo? I agree with your last statement that this is my next move.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS