Question working with active WiFi Router - how close/how long is safe?

need2sleep

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2013
I have a need to approach my company's WiFi router to ascertain its password, assuming it's on its label. I wasn't employed there when it was installed. This suggested by previous admin. If the router is actively being used by 20 people on site, is being in close physical proximity to it going to pose a health hazard for me?

USAFRet

Titan
I have a need to approach my company's WiFi router to ascertain its password, assuming it's on its label. I wasn't employed there when it was installed. This suggested by previous admin. If the router is actively being used by 20 people on site, is being in close physical proximity to it going to pose a health hazard for me?
It is no different than the WiFi from the router or laptop in your house, or the WiFi at Starbucks, and probably less impactful than the cellphone in your pocket.

Reactions: need2sleep
If the router is actively being used by 20 people on site, is being in close physical proximity to it going to pose a health hazard for me?
LOL. And you're working as a network tech there?

You should absolutely wear appropriate head protection gear.

IMG_3053-ANIMATION_large.gif

need2sleep

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2013
ok, you peeps. Thank you for the levity. I get it.

I had a "mini cell tower" once, to boost my cell tower bars, and that equipment warned to stay at least 18 inches away.
Now you see the backstory to my initial question.

Thanks to all...

The obvious question is WHY? If you're employed there why wouldn't you already know the password? Are you not authorized to log into the router? If the previous admin was in any way competent they would have already changed the password and/or defaced the label so that no one could do what you are proposing.

need2sleep

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2013
Each question answered in turn:
Legend:
dwd999 = '999' (question)
need2sleep='N' (answer).

999> If you're employed there why wouldn't you already know the password?
N>> because I was not told it.

999> Are you not authorized to log into the router?
N>> I am authorized. But that has nothing to do with whether I have the password to begin with.

999> If the previous admin was in any way competent they would have already changed the password...
N>> Well, they wore 4 hats, and now that they are leaving, each hat has been matriculated into hiring an employee for each: 4 new employees. So they were moving extremely quickly. So they probably didn't think of it.

999> ...or defaced the label so that no one could do what you are proposing.
N>> You are suggesting that someone could come along, read the password, and gain access? In this case, that would be extremely unlikely. The device, though in plain sight, is not able to be physically accessed without it being obvious to the rest of the 20 people that work in that room. You'd either have to have a ladder to get to it (obvious someone not authorized is attempting to mess with the communications boxes), or you'd see the person standing on the kitchen counter (no kidding!) in plain view of everyone else, obviously doing something everyone else would know they were not hired to do. Many questions would ensue, followed by a question to me, (incredulously), "Did you ask so and so to look at the communications boxes??"

USAFRet

Titan
999> ...or defaced the label so that no one could do what you are proposing.
N>> You are suggesting that someone could come along, read the password, and gain access? In this case, that would be extremely unlikely. The device, though in plain sight, is not able to be physically accessed without it being obvious to the rest of the 20 people that work in that room. You'd either have to have a ladder to get to it (obvious someone not authorized is attempting to mess with the communications boxes), or you'd see the person standing on the kitchen counter (no kidding!) in plain view of everyone else, obviously doing something everyone else would know they were not hired to do. Many questions would ensue, followed by a question to me, (incredulously), "Did you ask so and so to look at the communications boxes??"
"HVAC guy"
Nighttime cleaning crew.

If the router WiFi password is still the default, or otherwise written on the device, sorry...but that is a HUGE security hole.

If it is still there after you do whatever you're supposed to do, that is even bigger security hole.