Question Workstation Graphics Card Recommendation for my Trading Station

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ScottForum

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2014
I am looking for workstation graphics card recommendations. I have a stock trading station and need better display performance (no gaming). Below is a list of questions I've thought of and my setup. Note that although connecting directly to the card would be nice, I already use HDMI-USB3 4k adapters, that work really well. Thanks in advance.

I have seen the NVIDIA Quatro and the AMD FirePro.

1. Based on my setup, how much RAM should my new card have?
  2. Can this be a 3rd card in my system, or should I replace my existing discrete GC?
  3. What would be enough performance and not overkill?

My setup (Windows 10 PC with 6x connected displays):
CPU: i7-8700
RAM: 32GB
Mobo: GIGABYTE Z370 HD3P
Primary GS (discrete): GIGABYTE AMD Radeon RX 550 (2GB RAM)
Primary Display: 43" Sharp TV (connected via HDMI to primary GC)
1x 24" Display: Connected via HDMI to internal Intel 630 Graphics
4x 23" IPS Displays: Connected via HDMI-USB3 4K adapters

Scott

ScottForum

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2014
You are 95% looking at CPU/RAM issue not a video card issue. Would have been helpful to know you had all those things running on the system in the first post. Internet connection also will play a part. You can't check on system issues when you have a bunch of things running that are not related to the main program you are working on.
With only the 3 main programs running, after a reboot, I still have lagging. With regards to internet, a wired connection did not help. I get 150/150 FiOS service to my computer; ping is less than 20 most tests.

If CPU/RAM, what could it be? I've got a very good system. My cpu is far from being taxed during this time, and using only half the RAM. The programs I'm running behave differently than games do. I'm sure my TV is requiring more graphics power than the smaller displays.