World of Warcraft Improves Cognitive Ability for Older Adults

Status
Not open for further replies.

synd

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
[citation][nom]castle songbird[/nom]I'd like to see these tests compared against Portal 2 co op[/citation]
The only problem is that Portal 2 co-op is only 5hrs of gameplay while WoW can be played even 300hrs and you can still have things to do

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Kinda like tuning a Chevy vs. trying to get some more speed out of a Ferrari Enzo.
If course it's easier to improve on those with lousy basic performance.
Now go and research something that common sense does not answer :)

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
More or less common sense. It is well known that if you keep your mind busy solving problems and learning new things, your cognitive ability will improve. WoW is nothing more than a giant problem in this case.
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]Now some of you know why I still play the game. 7 accounts worth lol.[/citation]
$105/month?! I can understand one account easily, I can also understand 2 accounts. If I stretch it a bit, I can even comprehend three accounts. But 7 accounts?

I think its about time you find something else to do with your time and money.

castle songbird

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
[citation][nom]synd[/nom]The only problem is that Portal 2 co-op is only 5hrs of gameplay while WoW can be played even 300hrs and you can still have things to do[/citation]

...mods

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Sounds great. You can also achieve cognitive improvement by reading regularly, or listening to really good music, and let us not forget engaging in frequent good conversation with friends. All these improve cognitive abilities.

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]synd[/nom]The only problem is that Portal 2 co-op is only 5hrs of gameplay while WoW can be played even 300hrs and you can still have things to do[/citation]

The gameplay wildly varies on portal 2, but on wow, you'll be doing the same thing over and over and over while a graphically different enemy with essentially the same abilities will extend your 'gameplay'

The only varied gameplay you will find is in PvP, but that is a complete mess and is very repetitive at lower ranks.

sockso

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
[citation][nom]esrever[/nom]they should play something like starcraft.[/citation]
I was going to say the exact same thing.

speedemon

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
Ok people we need a game! This study will go nowhere without a game that really makes ya "think" . I was thinking farmville but idk maybe not the best choice. Well my cousin says WOW is the best game...
YES, I have heard of that game so it MUST be a good one.
Ok people set these old ppl up with some WOW accounts (remember to login for them, its hard and not part of the test).

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
these so called scientists can't make up their minds....one day they say that games are bad for you then the next that they are food for you....so which one is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.