News World's First RISC-V Laptop Goes Up For Preorder

Status
Not open for further replies.

syadnom

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010
article was cringy. RISC-V is among the newest being only a bit over a decade old. Yes it's based on an older design from the 80's but ARM, Intel, and AMD's are even older. You might say it's about the age or slightly older than MIPS...

Also, the 'RISC takes more code' is ambiguous and is a bit amateur talk. Yes, RISC binaries (ie, machine code) is larger, but the 'code' isn't. ie, it's an identical amount of code for an application on arm, risc, intel etc as the compiler handles the conversion to machine code. Saying it uses more code for risc is like... maybe correct in a very narrow scope of 'code'... but definitely not in the common vernacular. No one would say x64 requires more code than x86 for example, and x64 binaries are larger from the same input code.

I would not expect this from Tom's.

SunMaster

Commendable
Apr 19, 2022
I'm curious how far Risc-V will go. I feel fairly confident it will be pretty dominant in the areas that don't require record breaking performance, like all sorts of microcontrollers. I've always liked the idea of public domain.

Fdchdfa

Commendable
Apr 20, 2021
I'm curious how far Risc-V will go. I feel fairly confident it will be pretty dominant in the areas that don't require record breaking performance, like all sorts of microcontrollers. I've always liked the idea of public domain.

Do you know who spear headed/lead/started the whole EUV thing? It all began several decades ago in the US with a little something called the EUV-LLC initiative....which has members such as the DOE/Intel/AMD/Micron to research and commercialize EUV......Guess who signed a contract with the EUV-LLC to gain tremendous progress and advantage over rival japan(who ultimately failed to do their own EUV)? That's right a little company called ASML......Which is why the US can stop a Dutch based company to sell EUV machines to China. Now you know......

SunMaster

Commendable
Apr 19, 2022
Do you know who spear headed/lead/started the whole EUV thing? It all began several decades ago in the US with a little something called the EUV-LLC initiative....which has members such as the DOE/Intel/AMD/Micron to research and commercialize EUV......Guess who signed a contract with the EUV-LLC to gain tremendous progress and advantage over rival japan(who ultimately failed to do their own EUV)? That's right a little company called ASML......Which is why the US can stop a Dutch based company to sell EUV machines to China. Now you know......

I think you posted to the wrong thread.

Reactions: TJ Hooker
Jul 10, 2022
" ... use of a more simplistic RISC architecture ..."

You mean "simpler," not "simplistic." A simplistic thing is too simple for purposes. "Simplistic" is a bad thing.

Also, this article was not up to snuff, in ways others have noted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS