World's First Stacked 3D Processor Created

Status
Not open for further replies.

harrycat88

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Very Interesting...
I've seen micro water pumps on a silicon wafer before. All they would have to do is invent some kind of solution that won't boil, have the micro pumps, pump it between the stacked wafers, and then to the top of the chip trough a heat exchange where the hot solution is cooled trough the heatsink and then back to the pumps and through the wafers again, etc,etc.

G

So with this technology we can put more transistors in one piece of silicon but we can't set clock to high because the processor will burn, so
it should be good technology for multi core, low voltage, energy saving server processors, for purposes like huge database or web servers under heavy load of thousands threads or for supercomputers. But it wont work for PC desktops until problem with overheating will be solved.

G

Heat management is a huge problem here. A microscale, liquid heat exchanger would be very difficult to mass produce...one leaked water molecule would short the circuit system.

This kind of heat transfer technology is at least five to seven years away. Upon viable production, it will turn the CPU cooling world upside down.

G

oh my god, what an invention!!!

¬¬ I must have tought of that when I was like 10... what did this guy do? just a pile of processors togheter.
Tell me he solved the problem with heat or created a micro tunneling system to cool down the cube with liquid nitrogen or something like that.

Hey, I invented a 3D processor.
Really? What's it like?
Well, it looks like a pile of processors, actually it's a pile of processors.
Oh... so how they interconnect?
Am... I didn't tought of that yet.
Oh... so how do you cool it down?
Am... I didn't tought of that yet.
Oh... so you just put one processor on top of the other.
No... actually... oh... yeah.

Ryun

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
That's pretty cool. I actually had this very same idea to make a cube processor but I have neither the background nor am I attending a school that has that background either.

Cooling would be a problem though if the design still resembles a cube after fabrication.

bounty

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
I'm gonna go ahead and plant my flag in sphere shaped processors to cut down on latency to the corners of your cube. It'll rest on the top of a nitrogen fountain, rotating and beaming out signals.

//then I wake up

I need to patent the multi heatsink design, basicaly we'll go back to slot processors, so we can cool both sides of a 2-4 layer chip, then once they're actually closer to square, you can also put a heat spreader/sink on the top bottom and front, leaving the back for connectivity to the slot on the mobo.

G

there is a long way to reach the limit of SINGLE LAYER chips, so don't get this seriously, it's just supra-tech...

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Well, cube a quadcore chip on all sides except the bottom. Use the center for you interconnects... then all you would need is some copper wrapped around the sides of the chip to contact the chips that are, you guessed it, on the sides. Of course, it would need to be effective at transfering the heat towards the top like a conventional chip design. Wish I had a drawing... but I am sure you all slightly understand where I am going with this. It would still get hotter then hell and need to have superior cooling. Maybe start with Intels fabrication process... a step up from 45nm, is it 30? I forget. That would surely help keep it cool especially with that new transistor gating technology. It would work fine. Just be a complex process that would cost way too much damn money to mass produce. So... 4x4x4x4x4 @ 2.6Gzh = 20 cores @ 2.6Ghz? Woo! and NO, that wouldnt be FIFTY-TWO GIGAHERTZ. Jesus, some people are hopeless. Anyway, nothing OBVIOUSLY is threaded like that. Well, I remember being able to set the amount of threads in a video conversion program... I suppose programs like that would have a field day. Of course, the entire subsystem would need to be revamped as well. Its all just bunk talk now anyway. Nice to imagine!

ZootyGray

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2008
[citation][nom]bounty[/nom] I'm gonna go ahead and plant my flag in sphere shaped processors to cut down on latency to the corners of your cube. It'll rest on the top of a nitrogen fountain, rotating and beaming out signals. [/citation]

ZootyGray

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2008
[citation][nom]Ryun[/nom]I actually had this very same idea to make a cube processor but I have neither the background nor am I attending a school that has that background either.Cooling would be a problem though if the design still resembles a cube after fabrication.[/citation]

ZootyGray

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2008
[citation][nom]harrycat88[/nom]Very Interesting...I've seen micro water pumps on a silicon wafer before. All they would have to do is invent some kind of solution that won't boil, have the micro pumps, pump it between the stacked wafers....and through the wafers again, etc,etc. [/citation]

ZootyGray

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2008
[citation][nom]sasdfsadfsad[/nom]oh my god, what an invention!!!¬¬ I must have tought of that when I was like 10... .... solved the problem with heat or created a micro tunneling system to cool down the cube with liquid nitrogen or something like that.

... I didn't tought of that yet.
Oh... so you just put one processor on top of the other.No... actually... oh... yeah.[/citation]

ZootyGray

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2008
The problem is money and the waste of human potential.
So we have supposedly brilliant people creating junk, and the real creativity scoffing - cos they know. Get rid of money - but that's just a startrek idea - right? This is an article/project to justify funding. It's the funding that's important - not the creativity - not the benefit or usefulness.
Everything is folly. The problem is money and the waste of human potential. All problems link to this.

wavebossa

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
This is nothing noteworthy. They haven't created ANYTHING of note. They've just theorized and something that is useless.

Hey, why don't done we form of sphere of multiple transitor layers? I know why, cuz it would burn up.

These guys need to cool this, and running a microscopic amount of fluid in between these procs is not gonna take away ANY real heat. Without a copper heatsink, it would be like dripping s small stream of water on a hot iron.

This is really stupid. I can't get over the fact that there is no news here. Until they can cool this, they haven't done a damn thing.

wavebossa

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Man, sorry for the grammatical errors.

"They've just theorized and ARE NOW PROMOTING something that is uselsess"

"Hey, why don't WE form a sphere.."

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS