Worried about hard drive

ABE30

Honorable
Oct 15, 2015
Hey guys,
I have WD Blue 1TB I wanted to take a look so I took it out of its ESD bag and touched the PCB but I didn't hear or feel anything strange.
I didn't take any precautions so now I'm so worried that it could be damaged.
So please Help

Solution
You're probably OK - I don't think I've ever zapped anything. I used to be paranoid about ESD precautions but as the years have passed I've become positively blasé (and will probably get my backside bitten eventually). I still handle stuff carefully but I don't worry any more if I accidentally touch the PCB. The only time I really bother with proper precautions is when handling things like CPUs (or, in general, any out-of-circuit semiconductor components).

Stick it in a PC - if it works, you're fine. If not, you're extraordinarily unlucky!

Stephen

molletts

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
You're probably OK - I don't think I've ever zapped anything. I used to be paranoid about ESD precautions but as the years have passed I've become positively blasé (and will probably get my backside bitten eventually). I still handle stuff carefully but I don't worry any more if I accidentally touch the PCB. The only time I really bother with proper precautions is when handling things like CPUs (or, in general, any out-of-circuit semiconductor components).

Stick it in a PC - if it works, you're fine. If not, you're extraordinarily unlucky!

Stephen

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

It is fine.