Worried about thermal paste application on Ryzen 5 2600x with stock cooler

lukeskywoolner

Reputable
Sep 22, 2017
So I helped build my friends PC with a ryzen 5 2600x using the stock cooler. When we put the cooler on it got a bit messy because the screw on it required a LOT of pressure to actually make them move down into the backplate screws. Us figuring this out we had twisted and moved the cooler around on the CPU with the pre applied paste being "squished" around under there we did not take the cooler off because I don't want any bubbles. I feel like the application is very patchy now, looking at the temps in NZXT can the idle temps (with steam and other drivers installing) was jumping around 39 to even 49 at one time. Is there any way I can change some settings in the BIOS and just keep it at one clock speed when it is under load (like my FX 8320e) Sadly his motherboard (MSI B450) isn't compatible with Speedfan which I was going to control all of his fans with. Can anyone tell me what other applications I can use?
Thanks in advance to anyone that can help!

Solution

christopherjames

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013

I doubt very much the application is "very patchy" The paste is warmed up due to the heat and gets more viscous and gets evenly applied across the heatspreader due to pressure. Stop overthinking things.

Solution