[SOLVED] worried about windows 11 getting auto installed

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
Hi, sorry if wrong forum. Not sure where to post this, as it is both a Windows 10 and Windows 11 topic.

basically, I have 3 machines.. an i5 10600k pc, an i7-2600k pc, and a q9500 pc. All are on windows 10. The past weeks / days, I've been getting notifications on the i7 2600k and q9500 pc's that they are "not ready for windows 11".

question: would windows automatically update into windows 11, even if the system is not ready for it? I don't intend to upgrade the older pc's to win 11, and plan to just leave them on windows 10.

Solution
It won't auto install, even on a system that is 100% ready and capable.
You have to click the Yes button.

Your older systems?
No.
Apr 13, 2022
Hi, sorry if wrong forum. Not sure where to post this, as it is both a Windows 10 and Windows 11 topic.

basically, I have 3 machines.. an i5 10600k pc, an i7-2600k pc, and a q9500 pc. All are on windows 10. The past weeks / days, I've been getting notifications on the i7 2600k and q9500 pc's that they are "not ready for windows 11".

question: would windows automatically update into windows 11, even if the system is not ready for it? I don't intend to upgrade the older pc's to win 11, and plan to just leave them on windows 10.
If the pc doesn't meet the system requirements of window 11 it will not automatically install it.
Although there are a couple of workarounds for this they will make you pc slow, down if it doesn't meet the requirements.

Reactions: Tac 25

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
glad to hear that. I was worried that win 11 would screw things up on the older systems. Nice to know there is no auto install.

only going to install Win 11 on the 10600k pc, once things have been sorted out.

USAFRet

Titan
glad to hear that. I was worried that win 11 would screw things up on the older systems. Nice to know there is no auto install.

only going to install Win 11 on the 10600k pc, once things have been sorted out.
Right.
The older systems absolutely will not.

You could force the issue if you want, but why?

All my known incompatible systems are staying on Win 10.
My main system is Win 11, and I have one on the fence. Eventually, it may say "Hey, I'm ready"...until then, it stays at WIn 10.

Using both right now, there is zero need to forcefit Win 11 on incompatible hardware.

Reactions: Tac 25

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
@USAFRet

I don't post much on the forums, but I do have the habit of reading threads every now and then when resting between games. Have seen enough horror stories on Windows 11 incompatibilities to know not try and put it into my older systems.

as for my newest system, it's quite new, and still under observation if components are running fine. Maybe after a month or two, might try installing Win 11 on it if there are enough benefits to be gained on installing.

Apr 13, 2022
One sidenote though,
The update downloads, but doesn't install. Downloading it takes about 4GB and after it automatically downloads,only then it asks for installation. So if you cancel it, it will download again after you restart the pc, thus wasting data. It has happened to me and I tried a registry trick from howtogeek.com and it stops windows 11 from Installing, this would be of great help to you
Here's how to do it from the official
Microsoft site : https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...wQFnoECEMQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1N2hV8O-ldUMRNnMpzJNyO

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
just a little update to this thread. Today, was using my i5-10600k pc... windows updated and wanted to restart. I thought it was a normal run of the mill update.. when the pc restarted, almost clicked "Get Windows 11" (declined it, the thing was offered before getting to the desktop). Nice try Microsoft. Guess I got to be careful now whenever this pc updates and do a restart. LOL

don't want to get windows 11. Scared of the bugs that might be encountered.

Last edited: