Question Worry about my 600w psu

Jul 8, 2019
So I recently I OC my fx to 8350 to 4.5 ghz and I have a GTX 1060 6gb EVGA mini with single fan and I’m planning to upgrade the one fan to 3 to keep cool as it thermal throttles. And I have 16 gb ddr3 with SSD and Harddrive and two 80 mm fans front and back with hyper evo 212 cooling the cpu. My question is will my thermalittake 600w psu be fine or should a draw back. Thank you!

You don't know until you try. The fact that you're jumping to conclusions ahead of time tells us you already know you made a poor choice for PSU.

Which Thermaltake 600W? If it's a Toughpower, it should be more than fine. If it's a "Smart" or "TR2", it was a poor choice for a gaming machine.

Jul 8, 2019
It is a smart. I had no choice in the matter of picking it. It was part of the build I got. It runs fine right now. I stress tested it and it passed with flying colors. I'm hoping two more fans to the gpu will help. But adding all this extra stuff might over due it. Any recommendation besides upgrading as it isn't in my best interest to throw away a 1 year old power supply.

It is a smart. I had no choice in the matter of picking it. It was part of the build I got. It runs fine right now. I stress tested it and it passed with flying colors. I'm hoping two more fans to the gpu will help. But adding all this extra stuff might over due it. Any recommendation besides upgrading as it isn't in my best interest to throw away a 1 year old power supply.

It works now. Might be fine. The Smart is actually rated to operate at 600W at 40°C. Which is good considering there's a few cheap PSUs out there that are only rated at 30°C. Problem is, since it's only 80 PLUS rated (as opposed to Bronze, Silver, etc.) it produces quite a bit of heat on its own and you're trying to conquer a heat issue with your graphics card. Sort of like swimming up stream.

One thing I can see in your PC pic that might actually help you: The Smart's fan runs ALL THE TIME. So why not turn the PSU around so the fan is pointing up and can actually HELP suck the hot air away from your GPU?

IMHO, mounting PSUs fan down is kind of dumb in most cases. Yeah... cool air gets to the PSU. But hot air impacts CPUs and GPUs more than PSUs. So what's the point? The original ATX design was made to allow PSUs to be part of the cooling process. Mounting a PSU fan down actually removes that advantage. Flip that PSU around and see if your temps drop.

Just about the only time this is a bad idea is when your PSU has a zero RPM fan mode. Pointing the fan up in this scenario is actually bad because when the fan is not spinning, forcing air into the PSU and out the back, hot air actually rises up out of the PSU onto the graphics card!

Jul 8, 2019
I will give it a shot but I know the GPU needs better cooling I just wanna know if the 2 extra fans will make it or break it. It runs 60 C idle and 89 under load. I’m putting in a arctic accelero xtreme.

It works now. Might be fine. The Smart is actually rated to operate at 600W at 40°C. Which is good considering there's a few cheap PSUs out there that are only rated at 30°C. Problem is, since it's only 80 PLUS rated (as opposed to Bronze, Silver, etc.) it produces quite a bit of heat on its own and you're trying to conquer a heat issue with your graphics card. Sort of like swimming up stream.

One thing I can see in your PC pic that might actually help you: The Smart's fan runs ALL THE TIME. So why not turn the PSU around so the fan is pointing up and can actually HELP suck the hot air away from your GPU?

IMHO, mounting PSUs fan down is kind of dumb in most cases. Yeah... cool air gets to the PSU. But hot air impacts CPUs and GPUs more than PSUs. So what's the point? The original ATX design was made to allow PSUs to be part of the cooling process. Mounting a PSU fan down actually removes that advantage. Flip that PSU around and see if your temps drop.

Just about the only time this is a bad idea is when your PSU has a zero RPM fan mode. Pointing the fan up in this scenario is actually bad because when the fan is not spinning, forcing air into the PSU and out the back, hot air actually rises up out of the PSU onto the graphics card!

Unless the case has a basement like most of the better ones (Higher End) normally do then the only real option is to mount them fan down. (y)

If it's a smaller case without a basement then the PSU could aid in the cooling process as you said.

Just clarifying just incase someone might read it wrong, you never know these days.

Last edited:
Unless the case has a basement like most of the better ones (Higher End) normally do then the only real option is to mount them fan down. (y)

If it's a smaller case without a basement then the PSU could aid in the cooling process as you said.

Just clarifying just incase someone might read it wrong, you never know these days.

Good point. You're corect.

Fortunately, OP's case is "old school" and is simply an ATX case with the PSU on the bottom of the same chamber as everything else.

I will give it a shot but I know the GPU needs better cooling I just wanna know if the 2 extra fans will make it or break it. It runs 60 C idle and 89 under load. I’m putting in a arctic accelero xtreme.

Mounting your PSU the other way will help.

I don't think adding fans to the GPU will help as it doesn't REMOVE heat from the inside of the case. It just moves it around. Right now you have a good set up with the front fan being an intake, the CPU cooler moving air from front to back, and the rear fan exhausting out the back. But those fans are only going to remove so much heat, which is why I suggest adding the PSU to the cooling solution.

Jul 8, 2019
Mounting your PSU the other way will help.

I don't think adding fans to the GPU will help as it doesn't REMOVE heat from the inside of the case. It just moves it around. Right now you have a good set up with the front fan being an intake, the CPU cooler moving air from front to back, and the rear fan exhausting out the back. But those fans are only going to remove so much heat, which is why I suggest adding the PSU to the cooling solution.
I never though of it. I just hope it runs fine. I don’t want to push the system too hard.

Jul 8, 2019
You're nowhere near reaching the power capability of that PSU. It's all about heat. Your GPU is getting hot and that PSU runs hot. But if you orient your fans correctly, none of this should be an issue as fans should be pushing heat OUT of the chassis.
Well I did it.. I ran a stress test in 3Dmark and the cpu is less hot now and the gpu. CPU is at 23 instead of 35 and the gpu was at 40 after benchmark it got to 82 C and now after it sits at 60 C not moving.

A nice lean looking build.

What is your motherboard?
You need a high quality motherboard to run a FX-8350.

I understand that the FX-8350 will throttle at 60c. Likely you are hitting that point.
Certainly you could use another front intake fan or two.
Perhaps remove the middle drive cage which would obstruct airflow.
Move the ssd to the lower cage.
You can get 120mm fans in very high speed versions to get more air into the case. (at the cost of more noise)

Good point. You're corect.

Fortunately, OP's case is "old school" and is simply an ATX case with the PSU on the bottom of the same chamber as everything else.

I have heard people mounting their PSU's fan up in cases with a basement so there is zero airflow.

Then they wonder why the PC shuts down.... :ROFLMAO:

That or they sit the case right on a rug with a bottom mounted PSU and fan down so that can also cut the airflow depending.

Jul 8, 2019
3Dmark is used for stress testing your GPU not CPU. to stress test your CPU you will need to run a program like prime95

other then that just run a graphically intensive game for some time and see if your system powers off
I was trying to heat up the computer. I have a different program for the cpu.

Jul 8, 2019
A nice lean looking build.

What is your motherboard?
You need a high quality motherboard to run a FX-8350.

I understand that the FX-8350 will throttle at 60c. Likely you are hitting that point.
Certainly you could use another front intake fan or two.
Perhaps remove the middle drive cage which would obstruct airflow.
Move the ssd to the lower cage.
You can get 120mm fans in very high speed versions to get more air into the case. (at the cost of more noise)
Thanks. And the CPU does not throttle. The GPU does. The hottest it gets is 50C and I know it’s a cheap board. It is a budget computer

50c is not a problem for a graphics card. 80c is usually ok.
Find your motherboard in this link.
What is ok for a fx-4100 may not be ok for a FX-8350.

Jul 8, 2019
50c is not a problem for a graphics card. 80c is usually ok.
Find your motherboard in this link.
What is ok for a fx-4100 may not be ok for a FX-8350.
The board is fine. It can handle the 8350