Question Worse performance compared to similar PCs.

J4CoB1

Honorable
Dec 13, 2016
GTX 1060 (6GB)
i5-6600K (4.2 GHz)
16 GB ram (3100MHz)
Hi everyone, I've got a problem with performance on my PC. The problem mainly occurs when I'm playing CoD Warzone, no matter what settings I choose, the game will always run on 60-80 fps and it doesn't feel smooth. Two of my friends have the same graphic cards but different CPUs but they are not any better (i7 6700k and i7 4790k). The thing is that their game runs on average at 100-120 fps and they use the same settings in game whereas where I tried this I wasn't getting above 85-90 fps (only when looking at the sky or maybe inside buildings. I reinstalled Windows and downloaded all the drivers and still nothing changed. So the main question why do they get 40 fps more if they have the nearly the same PC?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Assuming everything else is exactly the same: your buddies got you on thread count.
CoD Warzone is no slouch, and will make many lower budget builds bend to the knee. This game can use UP TO 12 cpu threads.
You just have 4. Your buddies have 8.

Reactions: J4CoB1
As a little further details on that, those i7s have 4 cores much like your processor does, but each of those cores can more smoothly handle two threads due to having SMT (Hyperthreading). So if a game is splitting its processing workload and heavily utilizing more than four threads, they will be fighting each other for resources and not using each core as efficiently as they would on a processor with SMT.

At the time when the i5-6600K and i7-6700K were new, you were paying an extra $100 for that feature (and slightly higher clock rates). At the time, it didn't make much difference to performance in games, since games were almost exclusively designed to not heavily use more than four threads, but recently we have been starting to see CPU core and thread counts increasing, and more games utilizing more threads. The latest i5 and Ryzen 5 mid-range processors actually feature 6-cores with 12-threads, while the latest i7s and Ryzen 7s feature 8-cores with 16-threads. As games continue to increase their amount of threading, we may even see processors with 4-cores and 8-threads, like those older i7s, not performing quite as well in some games in the coming years.

It might potentially help to limit your frame rate to 60fps if the performance doesn't feel smooth when fluctuating above that. That might at least possibly make it feel a bit more stable unless you are getting lots of stutters below that.

Reactions: J4CoB1

J4CoB1

Honorable
Dec 13, 2016
So they are getting approximately 30-40 fps more just because they have more threads? When I was getting my CPU I didn't go for the i7 6700K because there was no difference in fps in games but now I am quite suprised that my CPU isn't as good as it lacks in threads.

J4CoB1

Honorable
Dec 13, 2016
Assuming everything else is exactly the same: your buddies got you on thread count.
CoD Warzone is no slouch, and will make many lower budget builds bend to the knee. This game can use UP TO 12 cpu threads.
You just have 4. Your buddies have 8.
I mean in theory this wasn't a budget build as I bought the parts when they came out new :D but technically the CPU is the limiter that is causing my fps to suck?

So they are getting approximately 30-40 fps more just because they have more threads? When I was getting my CPU I didn't go for the i7 6700K because there was no difference in fps in games but now I am quite suprised that my CPU isn't as good as it lacks in threads.
A lot has changed. Back when the 6600k released 4 threads was plenty for games and going for an i7 gave little benefit. However games in recent years have been benefitting from more threads and quad core/thread has become minimum entry level for AAA games, even the 6 core/thread i5’s are pushed very hard. Mid range for gaming these days is a 6 core 12 thread cpu in my view. Quad core/thread CPU’s have aged poorly in recent years.

COD Warzone will use 12 out of 16 threads of my 3700x.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I mean in theory this wasn't a budget build as I bought the parts when they came out new :D but technically the CPU is the limiter that is causing my fps to suck?
I know it wasn't. I was referring to other builds still trying to get by on weaker setups. Warzone is going to be a slap in the face for them compared to the older CoD titles.
I started my first build with a GTX 680, 2x 8GB ram, and an i5-3570K. I too followed the notion that an 'i5 was good enough for gaming'.
I kinda wished I did get the i7-3770K instead... I say kinda, because I still would've gotten this 7820X anyways.

J4CoB1

Honorable
Dec 13, 2016
Guys, I upgraded my CPU to a Ryzen 7 3700x and I am planning to soon upgrade to an RTX 3070/3070 . After upgrading I went on COD Warzone again and compared the fps with my friend which had the GTX 1060 and an i7 4790k and he had about 15-20 fps more than me and how is that? I have the power plan set to maximum performance and I still don't know how does he get more fps. I know that I will be soon getting a new card but I am still curious about that, the exact card that I have is the Asus GTX 1060 Turbo and he has the Strix version which means he does have a better card but not that it would make his game produce 15 fps more.