Question worth it to change or nah?

Putra23

Prominent
Apr 1, 2023
i have rx 6600 and want change to rtx 4060 (the reason sometime monitor blank and amd crash report appear) , and my monitor still 1080p 75hz (but at future change to 1080p 144 hz or highest refresh rate monitor)
my spec is
Ryzen 5 5600
PSU NZXT C550

Reactions: artk2219

zinkles

Commendable
Aug 24, 2022
(the reason sometime monitor blank and amd crash report appear)
Might be because your PSU is insufficient, or is struggling to keep up with the power demand, specially if its old (?)

To fix such issues, changing GPUs is not the thing to to, and investing in a good quality and adequate wattage PSU is what you should be doing.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I would try DDU and a reinstall of the latest drivers first. If you upgraded you may have some remnants from the previous card, or Windows installed an old driver on start up and then you installed a new one on top of it.

And it never hurts to update all your drivers. And there is the motherboard BIOS and even the GPU vBIOS that could possibly need an update to get everything working smoothly.

4060 is slightly stronger, but still in the same performance tier.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html
Probably not worth the upgrade if all parts are working properly.

Modern graphics cards can have some high voltage demand spikes.
If you anticipate a future graphics card update in the future, start by buying a quality psu, likely in the 850w range. Look for a 7 to 10 year warranty or better.

There may well be other causes for your crashes.
Is your motherboard bios current?

artk2219

Distinguished
i have rx 6600 and want change to rtx 4060 (the reason sometime monitor blank and amd crash report appear) , and my monitor still 1080p 75hz (but at future change to 1080p 144 hz or highest refresh rate monitor)
my spec is
Ryzen 5 5600
PSU NZXT C550
The 4060 isn't worth it, if you were to upgrade and have it actually be noticeable you would have to jump up to RTX 4070 \ RTX 4070 Super \ RX 6800 XT \ RX 6900 XT \ RX 7800 XT territory. Which would mean that you should also upgrade your power supply to at least a decent 650W, preferably a 750W+. I didn't previously mention the RTX 3080 because with 10GB VRAM, its not worth it, it'll be obsolete sooner than the others with 12GB+. Have you checked your cards temps when it crashed? You could keep hwmonitor and it should report the temps for you, it could also be power supply related or driver related as mentioned by Zinkles and Eximo. You could also try a fresh install of windows and see if that helps, is the card still under warranty?

I agree with @Eximo. You should download DDU, install it, reboot to Safe Mode, run DDU's "Clean and restart" option and then install the latest Adrenalin driver.

That will end your problems.

Here's a YouTube video to show you how. It costs nothing and has fixed so many problems with driver remnants from users who don't properly remove their old drivers when updating or changing cards. It's worth a shot, eh?:

Putra23

Prominent
Apr 1, 2023
I would try DDU and a reinstall of the latest drivers first. If you upgraded you may have some remnants from the previous card, or Windows installed an old driver on start up and then you installed a new one on top of it.

And it never hurts to update all your drivers. And there is the motherboard BIOS and even the GPU vBIOS that could possibly need an update to get everything working smoothly.

I agree with @Eximo. You should download DDU, install it, reboot to Safe Mode, run DDU's "Clean and restart" option and then install the latest Adrenalin driver.

That will end your problems.

Here's a YouTube video to show you how. It costs nothing and has fixed so many problems with driver remnants from users who don't properly remove their old drivers when updating or changing cards. It's worth a shot, eh?:

thanks, i direct reinstall windows after post at this forum and tweak windows update so they not download driver anymore, and seem working fine now, driver not crash anymore.

thanks, i direct reinstall windows after post at this forum and tweak windows update so they not download driver anymore, and seem working fine now, driver not crash anymore.
Well, I'm sorry that you had to go through a full Windows re-install but at least it's working now and you'll know about DDU going forward. You've also learnt something else that's valuable, the fact that Radeon drivers are not inherently unstable. The problem has been with the difficulty of properly removing previous drivers before the creation of DDU. As you can see now, Radeon drivers are actually solid.