Question Worth it to upgrade?

Frankenchokey

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014
Hey everybody, with a few games I'm interested in just having been announced recently, I wanted to know if its worth it to upgrade my cpu (just upgraded my graphic card).
I built my pc a few years ago and have had no issues with my current cpu, an Intel i5 4670, but I've been considering if it's worth it to upgrade to something like an i7 4790 (newegg pointed me to a 4790k, but I'm not really interested in overclocking).
Any issues with upgrading? Any pros or cons?

Which GPU did you upgrade to ? List the model. It will depend on the Video card, whether there would be any bottleneck with your current CPU or not,........The i7 4790 is obviously faster, but there isn't a very HUGE performance gap though, compared to your i5.

Are you on 1080p ? I don't think it's worth upgrading though. WAIT for next-gen CPUs to arrive.

Last edited:
the ability to OC is not the only difference, the 4790K has both 400 MHz higher base clock (4.0 GHz vs. 3.6 GHz) turbos to 400 MHz higher clock speeds (4.4 GHz vs. 4.0 GHz)...

If you can get a decent price on one, the jump in clock speeds and to 8 threads would be nice... (If even semi-satisfied now, however, might want to wait and see what the new X570/B550 series mainboards and 3000 series processors bring to the performance table...; you certainly don't want to spend too much on a 4790K if that could get you a new R7 that potentially matches 9900K in 3 months time)

Yeah, you need to be very cognizant of how much you're spending on an in-place upgrade of a 6 year old CPU architecture. If you can get an i7 for cheap enough, sure, it will get you another couple years, but at some point you're going to have to upgrade to a modem platform anyway.

Frankenchokey

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014
Which GPU did you upgrade to ? List the model. It will depend on the Video card, whether there would be any bottleneck with your current CPU or not,........The i7 4790 is obviously faster, but there isn't a very HUGE performance gap though, compared to your i5.

Are you on 1080p ? I don't think it's worth upgrading though. WAIT for next-gen CPUs to arrive.
Sorry, I upgraded from a 4gb gtx 770, to an 8gb gtx 1070 turbo. Yeah so far I haven't had a big enough reason to upgrade too much stuff, most games i play run at 1080 60fps at high to ultra texture settings. But I figured with a couple newer games/pc ports im interested in coming out, it might be worthwhile.

TRENDING THREADS