[SOLVED] Worth to upgrade to 2x8gb kit from 1x16gb at ddr4 2133Mhz?

Jakepoong

Reputable
Oct 6, 2016
Hi guys, Im running an i5-6600K with Asus Z170S Sabertooth. Im wondering if it is worth to upgrade to a 2x8GB kit from a 1x16GB kit. Since the ram speed is 2133Mhz only, will there be any difference if I change to 2x8GB kit? Like less shuttering or fps spike? Thanks for helping me :D

Solution
Why not get another 1x16G kit to pair with your existing one as opposed to replacing at nearly the same cost for the same capacity?

Dual channel should help some workloads although your gaming specific peak FPS gains will be pretty low. You may get some better performance with 1% lows and similar. Memory intensive workloads like encoding or compression gain a noticeable amount though.
Mixing RAM is not guaranteed to work without issues. Definitely can try it and it might work but if you are unable to return it and it has issues issues it is an expensive experiment.
Hi guys, Im running an i5-6600K with Asus Z170S Sabertooth. Im wondering if it is worth to upgrade to a 2x8GB kit from a 1x16GB kit. Since the ram speed is 2133Mhz only, will there be any difference if I change to 2x8GB kit? Like less shuttering or fps spike? Thanks for helping me :D
You get dual channel and it's worth something in performance, additional performance could be gained with memory with lower Cas latency.

Jakepoong

Reputable
Oct 6, 2016
You get dual channel and it's worth something in performance, additional performance could be gained with memory with lower Cas latency.

Yea dual channel ofcourse is better but I dont see any real performance boost for 2133Mhz speed(Max 2400Mhz for Z170S) based on some benchmarks from youtube. So Im confused should I upgrade or not haha.

beers

Distinguished
BANNED
Oct 4, 2012
Why not get another 1x16G kit to pair with your existing one as opposed to replacing at nearly the same cost for the same capacity?

Dual channel should help some workloads although your gaming specific peak FPS gains will be pretty low. You may get some better performance with 1% lows and similar. Memory intensive workloads like encoding or compression gain a noticeable amount though.

Mixing RAM is not guaranteed to work without issues. Definitely can try it and it might work but if you are unable to return it and it has issues issues it is an expensive experiment.

Solution
What's your data-backed percentage for that?
I have 1 firsthand case where mixing 2 identical kits in any combination was unstable. There are countless threads on this forum where people have had this problem and as a result there is the page I linked on this topic. I expect the only people who could estimate a probability of issues are the RAM manufacturers, all we know is it can happen.