[SOLVED] Worth upgrade from B450 Tomahawk Max to B550 MPG Gaming Plus?

johnsoner13

Respectable
I have a b450 tomahawk max with a ryzen 5 2600. My onboard audio no longer works for some reason and it doesn’t have any argb headers either. I also plan on getting a zen 3 CPU when they release (this month? i think). Is the upgrade even worth it or should I go for x570? Thanks
B550 MPG Gaming Plus is $150 for me and I bought my b450 tomahawk max for $125 btw

Solution
I have a b450 tomahawk max with a ryzen 5 2600. My onboard audio no longer works for some reason and it doesn’t have any argb headers either. I also plan on getting a zen 3 CPU when they release (this month? i think). Is the upgrade even worth it or should I go for x570? Thanks
B550 MPG Gaming Plus is $150 for me and I bought my b450 tomahawk max for $125 btw

I agree, just stay with what you have. Tomahawk Max will doubtless get BIOS to let you upgrade to Zen3. It will be great board for it too...in HardwareUnboxed reviews it showed better VRM thermals than many (if not most) of the B550 boards. Getting any other B450 will be a downgrade.

Even if you can't get an RMA to remedy the audio problem it's not a big loss. That's an...
I think, changing mobo only because onboard audio no longer works "for some reason" just isn't a reason enough - unless you're more after argb actually. That is, it's very rare onboard audio hardware would just die.
As ocer9999 said, your B450 will support new CPU, so what are you missing on your mobo? I mean, changing mobo just to have a "better" one, is kinda weak reason.

Reactions: drea.drechsler

I agree, just stay with what you have. Tomahawk Max will doubtless get BIOS to let you upgrade to Zen3. It will be great board for it too...in HardwareUnboxed reviews it showed better VRM thermals than many (if not most) of the B550 boards. Getting any other B450 will be a downgrade.

Even if you can't get an RMA to remedy the audio problem it's not a big loss. That's an ATX board with PCIe slots to use so get an add-in audio card, or a DAC and keep it outside the case. Either will have better sound than the mid-range audio on the board. And there are a lot of RGB hubs you can get that will provide you a lot more flexibility for lighting choices. I think the purchase of both of those should be less than the B550 Gaming Plus, and they are 'portable' so you can move them to any new motherboards in the future.

Lastly: B550 doesn't support your 2600 processor, so you'll have to get a 3000 series to tide you over till Zen3 comes out if you go that way. And while yeah, X570 boards will support it I would really have to have a NEED for all those Gen 4 PCIe lanes before I'd consider a board that needs a chipset fan.

Last edited:
Solution