Question Worth upgrading a AM4 socket vs start from scratch.

Aug 11, 2024
Hello all

I have a gaming rig I built 5 years ago.

Specs are-
AMD 2700X
EVGA 2070
ROG Cross hair Hero VII motherboard
16 g Trident DDR4 3200
Corsair RM650 power supply

I was wondering if it was worth it keeping the AM4 motherboard and upgrading the CPU and GPU, possible ram or PSU vs starting from scratch.

I don't mind spending a little extra to start from scratch if the price to performance is worth it for gaming. It's not really worth it spending another 1k for only like a 8 % performance increase - that type of thing.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hello all

Specs are-
AMD 2700X
EVGA 2070
16 g Trident DDR4 3200

I was wondering if it was worth it keeping the AM4 motherboard and upgrading the CPU and GPU, possible ram or PSU vs starting from scratch.

I don't mind spending a little extra to start from scratch if the price to performance is worth it for gaming. It's not really worth it spending another 1k for only like a 8 % performance increase - that type of thing.

Thanks!
What resolution do you game at?

kanewolf

Titan
Hello all

Specs are-
AMD 2700X
EVGA 2070
16 g Trident DDR4 3200

Thanks!
A 5800X3D would be a good gaming upgrade for a small investment. Additionally it would provide a Windows 11 compatible configuration (since Win 10 goes EOL next year).