Worth upgrading an ancient laptop?

SerbianGuy211

Honorable
Jul 27, 2016
I have an ancient laptop sitting that I have been thinking of upgrading and selling the one I have (Acer i5-7, 16gb ddr4 ram, ssd and gtx1050ti) because I only use it for internet. The old one that I have sitting is a Acer 4752g that has i3-2330m 2.2ghz, 4gb 1333mhz ddr3 ram, nvidia gt520m 1gb and a hdd. The laptop is extremely slow and barely usable (the OS hasn't been reinstalled though). What I have been thinking of is replacing the hdd with a ssd of 120gb and adding another 4gb of ram. Would the laptop be usable with Windows 10 at that point and would it be worth doing so? (Locally buying an ssd and the 4gb stick of ram would cost me 30$ in total).

Rokinamerica

Estimable
Nov 30, 2021
Not sure what you are selling and keeping. I have an old MSI lappy with a GTX 960m, 6th Gen i7 CPU and 16GB ram with a 500GB SSD as OS and a 1TB ssd data drive and it is very fast for my uses (backup pc to my work pc, but I use it multiple times a week to make sure all is in order and I just like it). I would go with the faster CPU and better GPU. SSD will make it so much more responsive than just a HDD.

SerbianGuy211

Honorable
Jul 27, 2016
Not sure what you are selling and keeping. I have an old MSI lappy with a GTX 960m, 6th Gen i7 CPU and 16GB ram with a 500GB SSD as OS and a 1TB ssd data drive and it is very fast for my uses (backup pc to my work pc, but I use it multiple times a week to make sure all is in order and I just like it). I would go with the faster CPU and better GPU. SSD will make it so much more responsive than just a HDD.
Sorry if I phrased wrong
Now I use a Acer with following specs: i5-7th gen, 16gb ddr4 ram, SSD, and GTX1050TI
Which is a very good laptop, however I do not use it for more than internet browsing
So I have another laptop I do not use that is very old - i3-2330m, 4gb ram ddr3, gt520m and a HDD and was thinking of adding 4gb ram to that one and replacing HDD with SSD. So I would sell the one I now use and use the old one.

What I was asking is if the old laptop would be enough for using today if I changed the following :) .

I recently got a 2006 Lenovo Thinkpad R60 with much lower specs (but better than the R51e I upgraded a couple of months ago) and has been stored in the drawer for more than 10 years, replaced the CMOS battery, upgraded the CPU to Core Duo 2.2Ghz, added more RAM to 4GB, replaced the 80GB HDD with 120GB SSD, cleaned the cooler assembly, applied new thermal paste, installed Windows 10 Pro. I can browser the Web, watch Youtube at 720p without problem.

With the current specs your laptop still has some good years ahead. Just clean the cooler and use a SSD.