Worth upgrading from 770 to 1080ti with current prices or jump over to 2080 in a year or two?

Mystos

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2013
I can see my 770 slowly bog down on memory heavy games as well as unfit for GPU rendering using Octane/Redshift/Arnold and soon-to-be Vray GPU rendering.

Lately I just run mid-low settings in games and my cpu is left to deal with rendering/3d modelling, but if the new RTX cards slowly pick up in the film/gaming industry, It'll feel like buying a 1080ti soon-ish would be akin to being left in the dust over the next 4-5 years which is about the age of my 770.

I'll be building a new pc over the next year or two depending on where GPU and CPU $/performance goes but it seems the 1080ti prices have (barely)gone down to launch prices ($900+ and easily $1000+ including taxes here in Canada)

At this point I'm even looking at AMD GPUs but I've not come across anyone irl using AMD hardware with the exception of the threadrippers...I just might if prices don't come down or if AMD unveils something to rival the new Nvidia cards.

What do you think? I can definitely hold onto my cash but its a matter of "will it be too late while 1080 ti prices start to increase since demand is still high and supply starts to dwindle, while nobody wants to jump over to 2080s? Will the RTX prices come down and the industry(ies) adopt it and support for 1080s is left behind?"

Well, from the benchmarks I saw the GTX 1080 Ti is on par with the RTX 2080. So, I believe it will still be a formidable graphics card for at least another 3-5 years. Take the GTX 780 Ti for example, it's on par with a GTX 1060; still good enough for high graphics at 1080p. Speaking of resolution, you didn't mention your monitor. If you're going to be using 1080p, then the 1080 Ti will last that much longer.

In short, yes I think it's worth it unless the RTX 2080 is a similar price. As far as support for GTX 1080, I don't think Nvidia will abandon it for a long time. Now, there may be some media creation that takes advantage of RTX and not GTX; I don't know though.

i think nvidia trying to hide that they flubbed up trying to go to 10nm. on there gpu. and came out with the rtx line as a hold over till they can get one of there newer gpu cores to 10nm and be as fast as the rtx line. if amd 7nm gpu is as they say for the price the nvidia is in a run for it money. as the newer gpu may not beat there top end cards but your going to get a lot of money value from them. 1080 speed for cheap price. then there intel that drop there hat into the gpu market. with bitcoin farms not buying gpu your going to see the prices come down as supply goes up on newer cards.

Mystos

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2013
I think I'm closer to a 1080ti than going to 2080 route...At this point it just feels like I'll be buying into "promises" with the RTX cards and their minimal performance increase over the 1080ti. As for the monitor, its just 60hz but I'll be buying a 144hz monitor in the near future.

Thanks for the replies