[SOLVED] Worth upgrading from a i5 4690K to AMD Ryzen 5 3600?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mr Drummer

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2015
Hi, i recently and unexpectedly got my hands on a "AMD Ryzen 5 3600" and a "GTX 980 Ti" and thought i might aswell upgrade my PC from 2015. The cpu i have today is a "Intel i5 4690K" and i just would like to know how big of a difference the "Ryzen 5 3600" will make? I'm a music- and drums teacher by trade and due to the pandemic i work from home at the moment, consisting of alot of video editing, where my current PC have worked fine enough. I've also looked at cheap but still reliable motherboards and found the "MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX", My second question is would that be a good combo toghether with the mentioned cpu? If you would like to know my current setup i'll try and post it as my signature.

Solution
No, CPU frequency has nothing to do with RAM speed.

I would get 3200MHz RAM because of two main reasons:
  1. With 3200 you have bigger chance that your RAM will run stable
  2. 3200 RAM is quite cheaper than 3600
-and in everyday work, you would not notice the speed difference anyway. Saying that, you wouldn't notice difference between 2666 and 3200 Mhz either. For average user, RAM speed just doesn't have much impact on PC overall performance.